Menu

Latin and Spanish

bluemongoose

I have 3 kids that I need to figure out what I will use for Spanish and Latin. This year DS6 and DS8 (birthdays in a month and will be 7 and 9) are using SSS and SSL2. DD11 is doing SfC A. DSs are young for their grade/age and I am unsure if they are ready for LfC (which I dont have and am not sure how it compares to SfC) or for SfC. DS 8 has aspergers if that helps. DS 6 is just young.DD has a very full load, so I am happy to keep her on a slower path in languages. Meaty but slow was my plan. Here are some ideas I have had...not sure about them though. 

DSs Spanish sequence

SSS 

GSWS?

SfC A-B

Avancemos 2-4? Not sure if SfC covers enough in the end to skip level 1 or no...

DSs Latin sequence

SSL1

SSL2

GSWL? with Minimus?

LfC A-C

Latin Alive all levels?

DD would be same as the boys but starting with LfC and SfC and not the lower level stuff.

I stuck the GSWL with minimus & GSWS in the boys sequence because I felt like it might be a place holder until they are ready for LfC and SfC. I am not sure if it would be too redundant or what...I just think that there is a big jump from SSl/s to S/Lfc and I am not sure we are ready for it.

Thoughts?

I hope to do Spanish from birth until 5th, then begin Latin in 6th. I want to use GSWS with Duolingo in 2nd, then So You Really Want To Learn Spanish, probably followed by Latin Alive! There is a GSWL2 coming out, but Lenny's a busy man so I'm not watching the clock.

Ya I dont want to wait for GSWL2 as it probably wont come out by the time I need it. I just need a filler for a year I think, until I feel they are more ready for LfCA. I am just wondering if it would be redundant.

I had wanted to do Spanish from birth too, somehow it got away from me  :closedeyes:

Edited by bluemongoose

Yes, I had grandiose plans of my babies signing, children being bilingual, and calling strangers sir and ma'am. I missed.

There's a boardie that mentioned beginning LFC A a year early and dragging it out across two years. She liked it because it gave extra time for the vocabulary to sink in.

I can't help you with LfC, but dd#1 did GSWS before startin SfC & it was very beneficial in terms of being a nice introduction - gentle & useful.

SfC moved too quickly for us with not enough review. Both of us struggled with the format. We made it only about halfway through.

When dd#1 started (high school) Spanish I, she noticed a lot of the stuff in Spanish I was covered in SfC A. She planned on using the rest of SfCA over last summer as review, but didn't end up making time for it. So, it covers a lot of the grammar & some of the vocab of a high school Spanish I class. (All of the Spanish programs have slightly different scope/sequences in terms of vocab but mostly the same grammar concepts, I think.)