Menu

not applying for fin aid--help me remember how this works

cave canem

I know this has been discussed before, and I am sorry that I did not pay better attention. I have searched the forum before coming her to bother you all.  As usual, I am very grateful for your generous help.

Please correct the thinking errors below.

If we don't ask to be considered for need-based aid for our student's first year of college, we still need to file FAFSA, right?  This is because some schools require it for awarding scholarships based solely on merit. 

Also, if student doesn't asked to be considered for need-based aid as an incoming freshman, it is not possible to be considered for future years, no matter how drastically family circumstances change.  Is this true?  

Or, is it true that student can be considered in the future for need-based aid even without asking for consideration for the first year, so long as parents filed FAFSA for the first year?

Depending on the college, substitute FAFSA/Profile for FAFSA everywhere above.

So, how confused am I?

Thanks!

I know this has been discussed before, and I am sorry that I did not pay better attention. I have searched the forum before coming her to bother you all.  As usual, I am very grateful for your generous help.

Please correct the thinking errors below.

If we don't ask to be considered for need-based aid for our student's first year of college, we still need to file FAFSA, right?  This is because some schools require it for awarding scholarships based solely on merit. 

It depends on the school, but yes. in my experience, the FAFSA can be required to access merit aid.

Also, if student doesn't asked to be considered for need-based aid as an incoming freshman, it is not possible to be considered for future years, no matter how drastically family circumstances change.  Is this true?  

Or, is it true that student can be considered in the future for need-based aid even without asking for consideration for the first year, so long as parents filed FAFSA for the first year?

Generally speaking, the latter, but again, you would need to ask the specific school as to their policy.

Depending on the college, substitute FAFSA/Profile for FAFSA everywhere above.

So, how confused am I?

Thanks!

Some schools admit kids "need-blind", and others must take into account the need to admit a certain number of kids who can pay full freight, and thus at these schools kids who can pay $$ may be more likely to get in than similar kids who will need financial assistance.

If you qualify for federal aid sophomore year, it will not matter whether or not you filed a fafsa as a freshman.

But, state aid rules depend on your particular state.

School money depends on your particular school.

So, you need to talk to every college you are applying to.

There's no blanket answers. Each school makes their own rules.

Some schools do and others don't.  Also, keep in mind that FAFSA is required to access the direct student loans (no financial need required for the unsubsidized loans).  

Again, ask.  If you are trying to get into a school that is need-aware by not asking for assistance and then hoping to get some assistance in later years, I would be expect your efforts to be thwarted.