Menu

CLE math in the higher grades

Jess4879

I am looking for advice from those who have used CLE math in grades 6 and up.  Did you find there was enough explanation for the child to pick up on new concepts?  Does it make unexpected leaps and or break down things into chunks that are sometimes difficult to sort out where the concept is headed (like MM, for example)? 

We are debating about using this for our middle kiddo.  She's currently using BJU, which I really like in many ways, but she has become very resistant to me teaching a lesson.  She just wants to read it and get it done.  Trouble is, BJU isn't designed to work that way very well.  :(  I am not a strong math teacher, however, and I like how BJU lays everything out.  I am ok with using things like Khan Academy when needed, but I am terrible (and I mean terrible) at explaining concepts myself.  Is CLE going to be a good fit??

We would be starting around grade 4 (would need to do the placement still), but I don't want to have to switch again in a couple years, so I want something we can stick with. 

Keep in mind that CLE currently only goes through Algebra I in their Sunrise editions.

Beyond that you're going to get basically reworked Alpha Omega, which may or may not be what you want. Be sure to look at the samples.

My teens went through CLE Math 8 and then switched to Saxon.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that CLE currently only goes through Algebra I in their Sunrise editions.

Beyond that you're going to get basically reworked Alpha Omega, which may or may not be what you want. Be sure to look at the samples.

My teens went through CLE Math 8 and then switched to Saxon.

Thanks for mentioning that!  I hadn't even noticed. 

Most people switch to something else, usually Saxon, for high school.

No child I have ever heard of, including my own two, has had a problem switching to a different high school program provider or was not exceptionally well-prepared by using CLE through 800. Many kids skip from 600 to Saxon Alg 1/2 with zero problems. 

If she and you really like BJU, have you looked into the DVD or online versions? All the teaching is done in the videos.

Edited by Paradox

Most people switch to something else, usually Saxon, for high school.

No child I have ever heard of, including my own two, has had a problem switching to a different high school program provider or was not exceptionally well-prepared by using CLE through 800. Many kids skip from 600 to Saxon Alg 1/2 with zero problems. 

If she and you really like BJU, have you looked into the DVD or online versions? All the teaching is done in the videos.

We have debated about the DVD/online program as well.  I think it might still frustrate her, as she really doesn't want to be subjected to a lengthy lesson.  I do like the price tag on CLE better too...

I think your question is: Can a child read the lesson and do the math on his/her own? The answer is "yes."

The concepts are introduced in little chunks and are very easy to understand.

There is a lot of review in CLE. Each new concept is introduced, and practiced, and then the majority of the lesson is what they call "We Remember." The "We Remember" includes more practice with the new concept but mostly is a bit of everything presented to date.  I would suggest that if your child wants to read the lesson on her own then she should show you the answers to the the practice for the new concept before moving on to the review section. The explanations are very easy to understand and with the solutions manual (not the answer manual), you should be able to help your child with the lesson if she messes up with her new concept practice.

I had a child move from CLE to Saxon 1/2 without a problem. My ds is now using CLE 7 as he works better with workbooks than textbooks.

Edited by paintmisha