Menu

Need advice from NYC Queens and Manhattan people

MBM

Dh and son will be staying in Long Island City this week to go to a funeral in Queens, which is where my husband grew up (Elmhurst).

They'll have Sunday completely free and are planning to go over to Mid Town and the Wall Street area in Manhattan. Any recommendations for things to do there? (That's not a big question now, is it?!!) They're planning to go to Strand Bookstore and walk around Cooper Union (dh went there decades ago) and also Wall Street because ds is studying finance and wants to see the area. How dead will the Wall Street area be?

Any recommendations welcome!

Edited by MBM

How early in the morning do they plan to set out?  Is there something in particular they want to see in midtown?  The Union Square area, where the Strand is, will be very lively on the weekend but I don't think the bookstore is open on Sunday morning.  And better to load up on books last so they don' t have to carry them around the city all day.  

For example, they could head straight downtown from LIC (7 to Grand Central and then 5 to Bowling Green would work) and then work their way up through Battery Park, Wall Street, Chinatown (dim lunch lunch!), Soho, NYU/Cooper Union, and then finish up at the Strand.  Another possibility would be to spend some time in midtown, then subway down to Wall Street, then either walk/subway up to Union Square before heading back.  

Wall Street will be quiet, for sure, but as Tanaqui said, it just depends on what they like to do.  But I'd start with a subway map, the store hours for the Strand, and the absolute certainty that they will buy many more books than they plan to, so factor in carrying them around.  

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 1