Menu

New PSAT: Prep. Book Suggestions (??)

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a prep. book for the new PSAT test?

and does anybody know if it needs to be a PSAT prep Book or a good  SAT prep book would do as well??

My oldest, now in college,  used the ACT for college admission. Before taking the PSAT,  she practiced with some PSAT prep. books a friend lend us. I don't know much about the SAT and I don't know how it compares with the PSAT.

My second child is a freshman this year and I would like her to take the PSAT for practice next year. I would like for her to start practicing this summer. 

Thanks in advanced for any advise  :)

Many people will, I suspect, recommend the free online Khan Academy preparation that the College Board supports.  My son found the prep there very useful for understanding the structure of the exams, but he thought the questions were considerably easier than the actual exam and therefore not particular good for reviewing the actual material.  YMMV.

The new PSAT and the new SAT will be very similar, aside from the presence of slightly harder questions as well as an optional essay on the new SAT.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with any of the new practice books--but there is something to be said, I think, for looking through PWN the SAT math as well as Metzger's review book on grammar IF you can find copies in your library or as hand-me-downs.  Both books are targeted to the old PSAT/SAT exams--and the kinds of questions will be different--but we found both books to be extremely useful for multiple choice tests in general.  (My son took the PSAT in the new format this fall, and the SAT in the old format last month.)

• Like 2

Ds15 used this:  http://www.amazon.com/500-Practice-Questions-New-SAT/dp/1101881755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449494493&sr=8-1&keywords=500+practice+questions+for+the+new+sat+created+for+the+redesigned+2016+exam

We haven't gotten test results back yet, so I have no idea how much it helped him.  It seems like it was a good book for teaching the format of the test with lots of sample questions.

• Like 1