Menu

Skipping right start B so that I can put my boys together?

sunshineslp

My 2nd grader is about done with RS B and we are going to move to Singapore. I tested him into 1b although he did miss several. I was told that it might actually be best to start him at 1a, just to cover all the concepts Singapore teaches and to learn its style. He may go through it quickly. Well THEN my 1st grader just started RS B. I've been told it's the best of the levels. I didn't think there would be a way to combine my boys but I realized, if I start my 1st grader in Singapore 1a instead of finishing RS B, I could start the boys together. Is this a bad idea? Should I stick with RS B and not try to push the boys together? I don't want him to miss out on something crucial and I know RS B has made a great foundation for my oldest. Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Math is just about the last subject where I would try and slow a kid down or make him repeat material to make sure I could combine him with a younger (other than phonics). Since your older already knows a lot of the 1a material, I don't think it would be very good for your little to see his brother always getting it right faster. It'd be different if your older were struggling and genuinely on a 1a level rather than being expected to breeze through it.

I do both of them in Singapore a. There's alot of fou dations there.

I went back and did 1a and b with my guys. Yours will probably go quicker

Singpore teaches so much more and deeper.

You would think it would be holding him back but its a different way of doin math that will serve him well for college.

Jus my 2 cents

Just our experience:

I took my ds about 2/3rds of the way through RS B.  I loved how math was taught, but hated the spiraling and topic-jumping.  I moved him into SM1a.  He finished 1a and 1b in just a few months, as it was entirely review.  He then went into SM2 and continued at a pretty standard pace from there on.  

My dd never did RS per se.  In pre-K, I did a lot of RS-esque games, activities, etc.  I let myself be inspired by the RS teaching method, but pretty much just made things up as I went along.  I also relied much more on cuisinaire rods than the abacus, as I had come to prefer them.  We did lots and lots of things from EducationUnboxed.com.  I started SM1 with her about halfway through K, and she did great, but stalled out at subtraction.  I shelved it, did lots of games and rod activities, then tried again maybe 6 weeks later.  She zoomed through the rest of SM1 and is now about half-way through 2a and in 1st grade.  

All this to say...

If you put both boys in SM1, you will probably need to use a pace that is way too slow for your child who has completed RS.  WAY too slow.  And if you go through SM at a bit faster pace, you will probably leave your younger feeling frustrated and/or inadequate.  

I would keep them separate.  Sorry, just my two cents!  

I would not try to combine kids in math. Math learning and maturity are so individual that trying to have them at the same place at the same time could be problematic. Let each child blossom mathematically on his own without being compared with his brother.

I speak from experience. My kids are 355 days apart in age.

ETA: Sorry, I answered before I saw you'd already made up your mind.

Edited by TaraTheLiberator
  • Like 1