Menu

Supplemental reading help? Fiction/chapter books for the Ancients!

lindsey

Anyone have favorites to recommend for an avid reader? (He'll be 8 next month and is a Q/R, he's reading the third Harry Potter now but is starting to slow down, it might be a tad too much for him.) I'm hunting around on our library's website and finding lots of reference-type books, or 'day in the life' books for the usual Egypt, Rome, Greece, but I'm looking more for chapter books or longer fiction stories based in that time period but still fairly accurate as far as facts and setting go. He's read the Magic Treehouse one and honestly blows through those in a couple of hours, so something a little longer or a little harder would be fine. 

Do your kids do notebook pages on non-fiction, reference-type books? I'm trying to piece together our spring/summer plans, and while we'll mostly read about different ancient civilizations and watch documentaries and do crafts and such related to them, I'd like to keep him supplied with lots of reading material, too...and if it's on topic, all the better. :)

ETA: I forgot! I do have Greek myths...need to get others. He'd love those.

Edited by lindsey

Egypt:

The Golden Goblet

The Cat of Bubastes

Tales of Ancient Egypt by Robert Lancelyn Green

Greece:

Lysis goes to the Play (and others by the same author)

The Children's Homer

Rome:

Detectives in Togas (and the sequel)

The Aeneid for Boys and Girls

Julius Ceasar - Nesbit or Lamb or McCaughrean retelling.

Rosemary Sutcliff wrote lots of historical fiction at a middle school level for Ancients. Preread to see if it suits your dc. We love Black Ships before Troy with the Alan Lee illustrations.

D'Auliares' Greek Myths is a classic, not to be missed imo. Great audiobook on Audible too.

Jim Wiess has some good audiobooks for Ancients.

We love SOTW too!

The Schlessinger Media videos on ancient civilizations are pretty good.

We don't notebook.

Edited by ScoutTN

Egypt:

The Golden Goblet

The Cat of Bubastes

Tales of Ancient Egypt by Robert Lancelyn Green

Greece:

Lysis goes to the Play (and others by the same author)

The Children's Homer

Rome:

Detectives in Togas (and the sequel)

The Aeneid for Boys and Girls

Julius Ceasar - Nesbit or Lamb or McCaughrean retelling.

Rosemary Sutcliff wrote lots of historical fiction at a middle school level for Ancients. Preread to see if it suits your dc. We love Black Ships before Troy with the Alan Lee illustrations.

D'Auliares' Greek Myths is a classic, not to be missed imo. Great audiobook on Audible too.

Jim Wiess has some good audiobooks for Ancients.

Thank you!! None of these turned up when I searched for books on the time periods, but I've found several at our library searching by title! :p

Edited by lindsey

Glad to help!

Search here first for lists. Sonlight, Veritas Press ( get the paper catalog) and other publishers have good lists to supplement history cycle spines. The SOTW Activity Guide has excellent lists for both literature and non-fiction reading. Sometimes you can get good suggestions by finding one you like on Amazon and see what " others who bought this also bought" turns up.

I am sure others will think of more to add.

My sister has my SOTWs and has for like two weeks, it's killing me! I need to get them back this weekend. :P I tried a couple of quick searches here, but I'm still getting the hang of the forum set-up and search feature, so I didn't turn up much. I'll check out the other sources, too!

Take a look at the lists on Sonlight for Cores B and G, as many of them will relate to Ancient Egypt, Greece, or Rome. You could also look on other literature-based curriculum sites such as Illuminations year 1 (and some in year 2 for Rome), Winter Promise (not sure on their years--been awhile since I looked at them but I've occasionally used some of their suggestions) and Diana Waring. There are lots of great books out there! (Detectives in Togas & sequel, mentioned above, would be great for his age too!)