Menu

Alternatives to Potter School English?

We are 10 weeks in to Potter's School English 1.  After failing a test, I realized that my 13 yo does not understand the way diagramming is presented and is not grasping the concept of identifying a sentence pattern at all (none of her grammar curriculum thus far have covered this).  She is acing the literature part of the class.  I am going back and re-watching the last several lessons with her, but the most of them are already gone.  I am also really struggling to understand the sentence pattern and some of the diagramming, and frankly, I don't see the point of it being so in depth.   

We will continue with this class because we have paid for it, but I don't see us using it for subsequent children or for English 2 or 3.   Does anyone know of an online course similar to Potter's school that focuses primarily on literature and writing and not on grammar? 

Are you open to a secular class?

We have been very pleased with Blue Tent Online's English classes. Dd has taken Honors English 1 and 2 and is currently in AP English Language and Literature.

Honors English 1 has a grammar component and a vocab component, but it is focused on literature and writing. http://www.teacherweb.com/USA/BlueTent/Thompson/apt27.aspx

Just avoid the classes that have "english" in them.  My ds did a Narnia class that was excellent and the grammar was an add on if the parent chose to let their student do it or not. They also have classes that just focus on writing.  I agree - the whole diagramming sentences seems like overkill at this level.  

• 1 year later...

Update-- classes are going fine.  After chatting with the teacher, I realize that many of the students come in with zero grammar, so that is why they do so much.  We'll keep plugging along, overall I like the class and feel she is learning a good deal.

@Shellydon, Which class have you decided for your child instead of English 1? With which teacher she/he is with?