Menu

Correspondence schools

I have an adult friend who never went to high school. She would like to get her diploma through a correspondence school. She prefers to have print materials rather than doing it online. Cost is a factor. The two schools I have been looking at for her are American School and Citizens High School. Does anyone have any experience with either of these or have a better alternative?

My ds is using American School and I would definitely recommend it to your friend. The diplomas are fully accredited, which is important to us.

I don't know anything about Citizens, but please make sure your friend verifies their accreditation. If they aren't accredited, your friend might as well just take the GED.

(Is there any reason why she doesn't want the GED?)

• Like 2

My oldest graduated from American School more than 10 years ago. In 2002(?). I'm not sure, now.

I don't know anything about any changes, but I only have good things to say about his experience with the school. It was AWESOME for HIM.

He graduated with a diploma, that allowed him to enter the local CC with full freshman status even though only 16, so he was able to qualify for federal Pell Grants.

If it were not for American School my son wouldn't have have been graduated from college, financially independent, and across the country when my marriage imploded. Unlike his younger brother that was still at the local CC and not yet independent, the older although just 19 was spared so much.

American School is probably in the top 10 things I am most thankful for in my entire life. Without the role that school played in my son's life, he might not be alive today. No, I am not being melodramatic!

AS looks more expensive now, to have more bells and whistles, and to be a bit more rigorous.

The diploma is legitimate! It stood up to the scrutiny of the CC that fought me tooth and nail that no underage kid could be a freshman and especially apply for federal grants and loans. I had to request proofs from the school that they were accredited before the CC grudgingly accepted the diploma.

• Like 3

My younger son went the GED route.

Having done both, I preferred the AS route for MY kids. If I had had more children and there was any way I could have afforded it, they would have all had AS general diplomas, started a year early, and then the college prep courses they needed to prepare for our local CC added as electives.

When asked for proof of 8th grade graduation, "N/A homeschooled" will usually go unchallenged for a 13 year old.

The general program can be completed in 3 years. The CC can be completed in 2. Kids can graduate from the CC at the same age their peers are graduating from high school, but with far greater earning potential. Even if they go to a 4 year college with their peers, their part time jobs will pay more.

And if you have a kid that is challenging you about what they want to do at 18, you are sending them on their way with a college diploma, at least. If the gap year turns into several, they still have at least a CC diploma and it is enough to survive off of.

• Like 4