Menu

Thinking toward Christmas - Anyone remember the Little Professor?

Okay, last question, I swear. Then I REALLY am going to bed!

When I was in first grade my uncle gave me a "Little Professor" for my birthday. It was a yellowish/brown color, and I think it was supposed to be an owl with a graduation/professor hat on it. The buttons were set up like a calculator. It asked you math questions and you punched in teh answers. It did addition, subtraction, mulitplication and division, and had mulitple levels.

I loved that thing, and learned so much math from it! Does anyone remember that?

I would love to find something like that for my son. They have something somewhat similar in the scholastic catalog, but it doesn't have a number keypad, just arrows to scroll to the correct number. (I'd rather have a number pad.)

Do they not make things like this anymore? I'd never paid attention to this year, and our BX is limited in things like that. The only hand held type 'games' (other than X-box type things or whatever they are) things like yatzee or poker or slots. I'd love to get him something like this. His friends have little electronic games they play in the car (EVERY time we get in the car! Drives me crazy!!!) I'd like to find him something he can do/play, but I don't want it to be just a stupid video game.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Kelly

who really, really is going to bed this time!

I think my mom may still have my Little Professor, somewhere in a drawer with my Speak n' Spell.

I'm with Aubrey, the Math Shark is a nice math game. It is even a little better than Little Professor was because it has more levels and a wider range of problems to solve. We used to take ours on long car rides to give the kids something to play.

My only gripe with mine is that it often gets the on button nudged, turns on and then runs the battery down (like if it were stashed in a backpack). It would have benefited from a more solid on off switch.

Another thinking handheld game is 20 Questions. We've had more fun with this than I expected and it does teach some logical thinking patterns. It is probably a game that kids will tire of relatively easily, so putting it away for months at a time is a good thing. Also, you have to be able to read well to use this on your own.