Menu

Word count vent

Joules

Too true, just wishing the questions weren't so encompassing that adequate coverage requires so much...superficial coverage is all you get for some of them.  I much prefer assignments where there is more latitude in choosing and narrowing the topic.  Sadly, though he is a great writer with an impressive portfolio, his voice loses so much in the short, efficient style of 500 words.  I can do it fine, but my words far from sing.  

Anyway, I'm just venting from having seen the original inspired versions and then the narrow scope brief ones.  I'll edit.

Too true, just wishing the questions weren't so encompassing that adequate coverage requires so much...superficial coverage is all you get for some of them. I much prefer assignments where there is more latitude in choosing and narrowing the topic. Sadly, though he is a great writer with an impressive portfolio, his voice loses so much in the short, efficient style of 500 words. I can do it fine, but my words far from sing.

Anyway, I'm just venting from having seen the original inspired versions and then the narrow scope brief ones. I'll edit.

My poor daughter has gotten a taste of this in her DE English comp class. Her journal entries are supposed to be between 150-250 words (teacher has given her permission to go to 300). Some are easy to keep in that realm, but "tell me your scariest ghost story" in that restriction??!? Not for my fiction writing DD. Needless to say that entry was build all the way to the climax and ended with... To be continued. I told her the point or two off would be worth it. She has spent most of her semester frustrated with word/page count restrictions.