Menu

Story about the US Immigration Act

Amira

I thought this story about the 1965 US Immigration was fascinating. I didn't know the history of why family relations are the driving force in immigration law and that those family relations have changed immigration in the US in a way that many didn't expect.

http://www.npr.org/2015/10/03/445339838/the-unintended-consequences-of-the-1965-immigration-act You can listen to it or read it.

A friend of mine from Peru became a US citizen last week. :)

• Like 5

Interesting... During the past few days I learned about another thing I thought was interesting. There is a provision for Cuban Doctors and other Cuban Medical professionals to enter the USA.  Many of them have come to Colombia, from Venezuela, where they were working for USD $28 to 30 (?) a month, trying to get to the USA. Some are lucky, like the Dentist who is 27 weeks pregnant, but her DH hasn't been approved yet. However, some of them have been deported from Colombia, for overstaying their 90 day visas, so they can seek permission to go to the states.  I am wondering what happens to those who are deported, when they return to a Communist country (Venezuela or to their native Cuba).  I had no idea that there was a special program for Cuban Medical people.  I doubt that they can practice Medicine or Dentistry in the states, but hopefully the ones who are admitted can work in something related to their professions.

I first learned about this on a nightly news TV show on the Colombian network, NTN24.   NTN24, like CNN, is banned or censored in Venezuela...