Menu

Singapore Math 1A help please...

Sue G in PA

Okay, I don't need help teaching the addition/subtr. if that's what ya'll ar thinking! :D I need help w/ the flow of each lesson. It just seems so...short. We go over the textbook exercises or examples, review the previous days lesson to make sure it "stuck" and then do the wkbk page. Ds7 is doing rather well and remember the "number bonds" from each day. That's good. But, is this all enough? What do you all do for this level? We use MUS blocks or Unifix cubes to make each number bond. My dh made a game out of it. Since my boys like to use the Unifix cubes to build lightsabers, dh tells the story of how he'd like to buy a lightsaber, "x blocks high". He starts out w/ say one block for the handle and 8 for the saber if the number fact is 9. Then he goes on to say that he needs more of a handle to hold so how about 2 blocks for the handle, then how many would we use for the saber part, KWIM? Ds7 LOVES it. Dh is so creative. Anyway, what do you all do for each lesson?

Well, my son does a sheet of daily math drill which I make up and that takes anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes (depending on the prevailing attitudes).

But, to answer your question, yes, it doesn't take him that long to finish up the workbook excercises. I also bought CWP and Intensive Practice and intersperse those during the unit. Sometimes, he does the workbook exercises and a page or so (whatever seems like a good stopping point - might just be 5 problems) of one of the other books. CWP is wonderful at teaching students how to *read* the problem, *extract* the appropriate information, and then *solve* the problem. I had huge problems with word problems when I was in school; so, I'm glad my kids will have this experience. IP takes the material taught/practiced in the textbook/workbook and applies that knowledge in different and harder ways. This way you *know* if your child conceptually understands what has been taught.

Well, my son does a sheet of daily math drill which I make up and that takes anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes (depending on the prevailing attitudes).

But, to answer your question, yes, it doesn't take him that long to finish up the workbook excercises. I also bought CWP and Intensive Practice and intersperse those during the unit. Sometimes, he does the workbook exercises and a page or so (whatever seems like a good stopping point - might just be 5 problems) of one of the other books. CWP is wonderful at teaching students how to *read* the problem, *extract* the appropriate information, and then *solve* the problem. I had huge problems with word problems when I was in school; so, I'm glad my kids will have this experience. IP takes the material taught/practiced in the textbook/workbook and applies that knowledge in different and harder ways. This way you *know* if your child conceptually understands what has been taught.

What is CWP? Thanks!