Menu

Living books for science

lulalu

Is there any book with a collection of titles for living books in science for elementary? I just simply can't find a textbook I enjoy. Looking for something that splits things into topics so we can choose several topics for the year.

Or open to suggestions on how to approach science in these early years.

This is the one area I just haven't been able to map out short term or long term. I am not opposed to a conservative Christian curriculum in this area, but I feel most options put too much analyzing at a young age. And too much emphasis on creation alone (know what I mean) not at all against this teaching just don't want years of that being all we study.

We are using Wayfarers from Barefoot Ragamuffins and are really enjoying the living books she has selected to use. You can view the book selections on the sample pages at the bottom of this page: http://barefootmeandering.com/site/wayfarers/.

Her husband is currently writing a series all about science called Quark Chronicles. Unfortunately it isn't finished yet, but the Botany book we are reading now is fantastic and I am confident the rest of the books will be just as wonderful (I believe either 2 or 3 volumes are finished as of this point).

• Like 1

Have you looked at the guest hollow booklists?  http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/curriculum.html#science

I used the booklists as jumping off points for our science for a couple of years.  You could follow the schedule for a full year's worth of science. 

There's also noeo: http://logospressonline.com/noeo

I've used the first two levels and they're great .

• Like 3

Not sure from your post if secular is desired, or an option, or not wanted at all... Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding includes a book list for each topic and we use the books quite extensively as part of our science. It covers things in four major interrelated topics, and breaks down each of those topics into smaller chunks.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree with Jackie. Bfsu would be great for you. A wtm user created this booklist from bfsu.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AkexEHgzrq4k1YChRV6unnU3rTiugS_7vq2R860s53E/htmlview#

You could just use the books, but I think bfsu is well worth the price even if you simply read through it for your own edification. My fave k-2 books are read and find out series and Gail gibbons. For 3-5 I like Seymour Simon and scientist in the field books.

• Like 2

BFSU is great for book lists. I just picked a thread and had the kids read through it, with family discussions on the different concepts BFSU covers.

Kindergarten to second/third

* Robert Wells (Wells of Knowledge) 

* Let's Read and Find Out The level 2 readers might even work for third graders if they read it on their own and do more research.

* Magic school bus videos and books

* Science of Living Things

Fourth to Fifth/Sixth

* Basher Science - easy to read, but good information

* 21 Activities For Kids 

* DK books - very dense and busy. I used it more as a research tool than reading straight through.

* Who Was... series for biographies

* Scientists in the Field - picture books, but there's a lot of information, heavy on zoology, biology, and earth science though.

* Horrible Science series

If your child likes thick science books with beautiful pictures, look at Definitive Visual Guide... like:

* Smithsonian's The Universe

* DK's Ocean

* The Complete Human Body

We own a lot of science books...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...