Menu

All About Spellng with a 5yo?

vaquitita

I started at 4 when they showed interest -- but both my daughters were at a solid 2nd-3rd grade reading level (in one case, far above) at that point. The main issue is what you alluded to - the writing. It's all good as long as you can use the tiles alone but level 1 goes by so quickly -- then you are into dictated phrases. For my younger daughter I'm getting concerned we're going to be at dictation before she really has the stamina for more than one phrase a day. I figure I'll cross that bridge when we come to it, and if we slow way down it doesn't really matter... they are so young that there is plenty of time.

I didn't buy another student pack -- I am just dealing with trying to remember where each girl is and splitting up the cards (but my older daughter is in almost 6 and younger daughter is in 1 so the cards they use are usually different).

I had your exact same dilemma a couple of weeks ago! I had thought I'd start AAS in 1st grade because it seemed too much for K. Then I went to order AAR2 and saw they recommended AAS1 too. You can definitely order it and start it now. It begins very, very simply. Lots of review and spelling CVC words which is way too easy for my five year old so I think we will be ordering AAS2 soon. I think starting too much later would be harder because it seems so basic after finishing AAR1 so I would think it would just feel that much more remedial the farther ahead in reading. DS is fine with the writing and prefers it to the tiles.

I started AAS with my child when she was younger than five quite successfully, but she was reading very well. I know that isn't really the norm, but I can attest to the fact that AAS can be a lot of fun for young kids!

One thing: I got a lined dry-erase board from Lakeshore and we did most of the words on it in the beginning. It was perfect for the dictation sentences that came later.

We used all sorts of things like window markets, sidewalk chalk, etc., and AAS became something she begged for.

It is gentle that it really lends itself to young kids.

I used ODS's 5th birthday as an excuse to start a little formal work, but I started with handwriting.  Once he had finished the first two books of handwriting (a few months), we moved on to AAS1.  At that point he was reading around a 2nd grade level, and writing was slow but doable.  We flew through AAS 1, but took a few months off near the end for a cross-country move.  By the time we started level 2, handwriting was no longer an issue for him. 

DD--14 mos younger--tagged along for all that work.  Her handwriting wasn't as neat, but it was doable.  I've noticed that now at 5.5, her handwriting is suddenly looking much nicer. 

Neither of my kids really liked the tiles--too tedious for them--but the whiteboard is a big hit.  I give them the option of whiteboard or notebook, and they hardly ever choose their notebooks.  Whiteboards are also easier for early writers due to the smooth slide of the marker, and ours are mounted on the wall which is another tip they give for early writers.

I used the first half of AAS 1 with my oldest dd when she was 4yo.  We did it just with tiles and it was to teach reading as well as spelling.  We then reviewed and completed the whole book in kindergarten with writing included.  (By the time she started kindergarten she could read any picture book).  If he's interested then go for it.  

How is handwriting going? I would not start AAS until my kid had handwriting well established, and even then...especially for a kindy kid, I would save spelling for first grade, especially if I hadn't finished reading instruction. That just sounds like too much seat work for that age. I save spelling until after my child reads fluently. It's like a second crack at phonics instruction.

• Like 1

Would you start a 5yo in AAS? My, just turned five two weeks ago, son is almost finished with AAR 1. AAL says to start AAS 1 alongside AAR 2. I'm trying to decide whether I want to or not. Studying spelling with a kid who wouldn't even qualify for regular kindergarten this year seems funny. I already have it, in fact I just started it with my 8yo who is using AAR 2. Though I guess I'd need another student pack. On one hand he is interested in spelling, but on the other hand his writing skills are not great. Though with AAS, he could just use the tiles.

It depends on the student. Since his handwriting skills are not that great, I'd probably work on that more first, though if he's interested, you could certainly start AAS casually and see how it goes. The recommendation in the Right Time to Start AAS article does say to start AAS 1 with AAR 2, but also states that for most kids, that will be near the end of first grade. When you have a young reader, sometimes you have to take things like handwriting ability and stamina into consideration as well. It's not that AAR and AAS line up in any way, in other words--it's just that you want your student to have a solid start in reading first. It's fine if you start partway through AAR 2 or even with AAR 3. If you do wait to start and some beginning words are too easy, you can always fast-track with level 1. But for most young students, the gradual progression of writing tasks (words and short phrases in level 1, the addition of dictation sentences in level 2 and so on) helps them to build up stamina, so even if the words are easy, working on the writing helps them develop speed and fluency in spelling. If you don't think he's ready (or don't want him to start while your 8 yo is just starting), it's fine to wait awhile.