Menu

Cursive for artsy 2nd grade girl

kalusignan

Dd7 has been really wanting to start cursive for awhile now. She likes to add flourishes, curly q's, and overall embellish her manuscript writing to 'look' more like cursive. She actually has hated learning print/manuscript over the years, so I'm hoping this will motivate her to take pride in the quality of her handwriting.

I'm also looking for something fun and enjoyable for her that could possibly be largely independent and self-directed. 

We used HWOT for print/manuscript, but their cursive looks really ugly to me. Zaner-Bloser looks more like what I did as a kid and what she might enjoy. Sorry, I don't know much about cursive. Are there other programs I should consider? If I choose ZB, do I need the TG?

She also still has problems with letter and number reversals. I think I heard cursive really helps with that?

I had gotten a book from Rainbow, but it just wasn't right for my kids.  I ended up finding this free worksheet maker that I fell in love with.  I used the typical letter progression of other programs, but this allowed me to set the line height to suit my kids as they learned and also to customize our practice, so I could do exactly as much as I thought they needed, include their names, etc.  And I could always make another sheet if they needed more or less practice.  So it was a little legwork, but nice-looking, custom, and free.  (And it looks pretty much like what I learned in school, which made my life easier.  I think it's like ZB.)

And yes, cursive does help with letter reversals.  Sorry I've got no input on ZB itself, though.

I must come off as a schill, lol, but we like New American Cursive.   We are going to move to Spencerian in a couple of years, and different calligraphic styles as she gets older, but NAC seemed like a good foundation for a solid cursive that we can build on later with these other styles.  I liked the simplicity of the strokes, though a couple of their caps are not "traditional" cursive letters. It isn't really frilly so it doesn't cure the need for embellishment; but, our daughter likes to do her own loops and curls especially at the end of words or on caps, and we let it go so long as the core letter is still, well, the letter, lol.