Menu

Any Neil Gaiman fans?

So, since I started this thread I've read; Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods, Anansi Boys and The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains :) Still a fan :) I guess I need to hit Good Omens, Sandman and some short stories next. I believe for Christmas I'll buy his new collection with Coraline, Fortunately the Milk and The Graveyard Book. I'm dying to read the The Sleeper and the Spindle (and a 1 star review that said it isn't at all like the Disney princess movies is just all the more encouraging). 

That's why I bought it, too!  It's really good!

So, since I started this thread I've read; Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neverwhere, Stardust, American Gods, Anansi Boys and The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains :) Still a fan :) I guess I need to hit Good Omens, Sandman and some short stories next. I believe for Christmas I'll buy his new collection with Coraline, Fortunately the Milk and The Graveyard Book. I'm dying to read the The Sleeper and the Spindle (and a 1 star review that said it isn't at all like the Disney princess movies is just all the more encouraging).

The Sleeper and the Spindle is a great story; it's also part of his new release, Trigger Warning, which is a nice collection of short stories (and a few poems). So unless you specifically want the version with the pretty artwork, get the compilation. More bang for your buck.

ETA: definitely not a Disney princess story. I referenced it heavily in a recent paper I wrote about fairy tales retold/expressed with a feminist perspective, if that gives you any indication.

• Like 2

The Sleeper and the Spindle is a great story; it's also part of his new release, Trigger Warning, which is a nice collection of short stories (and a few poems). So unless you specifically want the version with the pretty artwork, get the compilation. More bang for your buck.

ETA: definitely not a Disney princess story. I referenced it heavily in a recent paper I wrote about fairy tales retold/expressed with a feminist perspective, if that gives you any indication.

I think I'd like both :) I need to get the short story book first, I wonder as well how kid friendly it is, I've not figured that out yet.

Trigger Warning also contains the really cool story The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains.  I have the signed picture book edition and it's great.  *Maybe* not great for little kids, though. ;) 

• Like 1

Trigger Warning also contains the really cool story The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains.  I have the signed picture book edition and it's great.  *Maybe* not great for little kids, though. ;)

I read The Truth is a Cave last week, ds read it after me and promptly bought a copy with his own money. I didn't find any of it terribly offensive, he is not easily bothered by violence(of which I didn't find it to be excessive or disturbing) and is aware of what s*x is, although any mention is quite vague and minimal.