Menu

Please Help! I need math suggestions...!

wagnfun

Making a long story short I need math help. I have a 9 yr old boy who is close to a year behind in math. Can you give me your BEST math facts/games/ideas/thoughts that we can work on daily over the course of the school year aside from his regular Math U See Gamma work?

thanks for your help!

For a 9 year old, are you talking about not knowing his math facts? Or is there more to it?

For math facts:

quiz in the car (for M & M's in our case - they are a captive audience and the M & M's made it more fun)

Additon War (each player turns up two cards and the highest total wins)

Subtraction War (each player turns up two cards, subtracts the lower from the higher, and the highest wins)

Multiplication War (each player turns up two cards and multiplies them, highest wins)

Division War (each player turns up two cards and divides them - might want to wait for decimals)

Super Addition War (same as above but turn up 3 or 4 cards)

Super Multiplication War (same as above but turn up 3 or 4 cards)

We need to work both on speed of facts and whats the next step. For example, I know we teach the numbers, count to 100, then basic addition & subtraction.He is fine w/ telling time & money. We are past double digit add/sub & he knows his time tables & basic division, then we get stuck. I can't seem to get him past this step.

We used saxon last year and although it was good for my other kidlets, he just mentally flipped out when the worksheets came out during the lesson.

Thanks for the games suggestions!!

I just wanted to mention that I have a 9 yr old boy and we haven't even started Gamma yet....so I'd be happy where you are at :) By finishing up Beta, you have still completed alot of problems that 4th and 5th graders are still doing.

I use the math u see website for it's online drill, then I'll print math fact sheets from the math fact worksheet site. Pretty boring and I've never really done that before this year, but now he's old enough to handle a fact sheet daily without much whining.

Alison in KY

THank you all for your input on my 9 yr old. Facts behind the story is he will be 10 in November and I'm getting pressure due to state testing. Math U See isn't up to California testing...

Personally, I'd rather he be good and know the facts, then skip through fast or study for the test!

• 1 month later...

We have calculadder, but I've found it easier to use math worksheet factory lite http://www.brothersoft.com/mathematics-worksheet-factory-lite-297.html for addition and subtraction. It used to be very popular with homeschoolers. I make up a worksheet with a few facts and print multiple copies of it, similar to calculadders but introducing fewer facts. When that is mastered, I add a few more facts while reviewing the others. Works here and it's free.

I'm just curious because I don't have the "testing" pressure unless it's self imposed...but what does the school system do if a homeschooler doesn't do well on a test?

I don't know about California but here if the homeschool student falls below a certain percentage (can't remember what the percentage is) they are put on probation and have 1 year to get the scores above that mark after which there is a hearing to see if something else, such as putting them in school, needs to be done. The percentage is pretty low though. If the student was performing that low is public school there would be issues as well. There are exceptions and accomodations for kids with learning disabilites or other issues preventing them from performing to at least a minimal standard and you do have to declare those issues.

Judging from what I hear in the OP, her son would definately be above the 'trouble' mark. If it makes you feel any better, my oldest was in public school until 1/2 way through 4th grade (9 year old) and our school systems are considered some of the best in the country. They were working on division/long division but definately it was a work in progress. It was not expected to be complete by then.

Heather