Menu

accelerating/compacting Saxon 54?

blondeviolin

My oldest is not mathy.  She's good at math, but she's not thrilled by it.  Nor does she love to spend time puzzling through math.  She wants to get it done and get on to reading her books.  

This is her first year with Saxon Math.  I gave her the placement test.  16 or more correct and I was to place her in Saxon 65.  She scored 14 correct, both being careless mistakes.  I stopped her early as well.  Regardless, I thought I'd place her in 54 because it would be confidence-building and it's grade appropriate.  (She's fourth grade this year.)  I understand a lot of her math for the last four weeks has been review, but she has yet to hit a concept she doesn't know.  Looking at the table of contents, the only thing I am seeing that she doesn't know is dividing with a two-digit divisor, which is lesson 118 out of 120.  

So..if I'd like to keep going with 54, I'm thinking I'm going to have to compact this down.  If the math is too easy, she gets bored and stares off between answers and it takes forever.

What's the best way to accelerate or compact this program so we are at a bit more of a challenge?

I would do tests until you get to one where she doesn't make an A (90%), then start on the lessons covered by that test. 

If she makes an A, but not 100%, I would still re-teach and have her correct the problems she got wrong, but I wouldn't make her start there. 

• Like 3

This is how we banged through 6/5 at a faster pace:  Challenge each of the tests, starting with the first one.  As long as she scores 90 or above, keep challenging the tests in order.  When she scores less than 90, back up 5 chapters and start there.

My oldest is not mathy.  She's good at math, but she's not thrilled by it.  Nor does she love to spend time puzzling through math.  She wants to get it done and get on to reading her books.  

This is her first year with Saxon Math.  I gave her the placement test.  16 or more correct and I was to place her in Saxon 65.  She scored 14 correct, both being careless mistakes.  I stopped her early as well.  Regardless, I thought I'd place her in 54 because it would be confidence-building and it's grade appropriate.  (She's fourth grade this year.)  I understand a lot of her math for the last four weeks has been review, but she has yet to hit a concept she doesn't know.  Looking at the table of contents, the only thing I am seeing that she doesn't know is dividing with a two-digit divisor, which is lesson 118 out of 120.  

So..if I'd like to keep going with 54, I'm thinking I'm going to have to compact this down.  If the math is too easy, she gets bored and stares off between answers and it takes forever.

What's the best way to accelerate or compact this program so we are at a bit more of a challenge?

• Like 1