Menu

Silicon Baking Cups

planner

I'm considering purchasing some silicon cupcake liners. I've never seen them used. For those of you who have them, do you find them to be easy to wash? I'm concerned the cleaning process will be burdensome. If so, I'd rather stay with paper liners but I make so many muffins that I'd like to stop buying liners if cleaning is not an issue. I'd love to hear your experience.

I use them quite a lot, but not as liners. I think they are thick enough that they would take up quite a bit of space in muffin pans. I use them as additional muffin pans. They can stand alone on a baking tray, so I can make three extra dozen muffins, but it takes up almost no space in my kitchen. I also have square ones that make square muffins that fit better in our lunch box containers, and triangle ones just for fun.

I should add that I bake and freeze lots of things in single serving size and I use muffin tins and the silicon baking cups for that. It seems like I have an extraordinary number of muffin cups, but I really use them.

They should not be put in the dishwasher. You do need to wash them by hand, but I haven't found it onerous. I just plop them in hot soapy water and then sort of swish around inside each one with a sponge, or even my hands, and then rinse. I also use baking spray on them with some recipies, they will stick just like anything else.

• Like 1

No mine don't wash well. I have to hand wash mine (they are singles so idk about the connected ones). I never use them because I expect the dishwasher to actually wash everything.

Otoh, if you hand wash I guess they are not "difficult" to wash. I just don't want to do that for 12 muffins.

• Like 1

I also use baking spray on them with some recipies, they will stick just like anything else.

Do you use baking spray for muffins or for other foods you cook in the cups? I really don't want to use baking spray. Ds has many dietary restrictions and I just don't want to use spray with him. He's my main muffin consumer too. 

I bought some wonderful parchment liners at Target and I love them. I ran out and bought some paper liners and realized just how wonderful the parchment liners are. I started thinking about the silicon cups, thinking maybe I could eliminate the ongoing expense of buying liners. I'm just nervous I won't like them.

yeah, parchment has a non-stick coating, usually silicone. It can be reused..but I don't know about muffin liners. I use parchment on my baking trays and I can make a single sheet last a loooong time. It's expensive!

I do use cooking spray with metal muffin tins or silicone or I find that the muffins and other foods stick, at least a bit. I don't like leaving the blueberries on the side of the tin. If I am popping something like frozen hummus out of a muffin tin I don't bother with spray. But anything baked does need some oil to prevent sticking.

It is very easy to make your own 'spray'. You just need a bottle of lecithin oil (I get it at the co-op) and then mix it 1 part lecithin to 3 parts whatever oil you like. But lecithin is a soy product. However, I know a couple people with kids with soy allergies who say their kids don't have an issue with lecithin? IDK how that works. If you make your own, I just keep it in a small bowl near the stove and I have a baking brush that I use to brush it in whatever I am using.

• Like 1

I'm considering purchasing some silicon cupcake liners. I've never seen them used. For those of you who have them, do you find them to be easy to wash? I'm concerned the cleaning process will be burdensome. If so, I'd rather stay with paper liners but I make so many muffins that I'd like to stop buying liners if cleaning is not an issue. I'd love to hear your experience.

No experience with these, although I have considered them.  I just use regular muffin pans, a baking spray, and skip the paper liners.  Never have had any problem.

The Spectrum brand coconut spray does include soy lecithin.  Is soy one of your son's allergies?

• Like 1

I got rid of mine. Cleaning was an issue.

• Like 1

No experience with these, although I have considered them.  I just use regular muffin pans, a baking spray, and skip the paper liners.  Never have had any problem.

The Spectrum brand coconut spray does include soy lecithin.  Is soy one of your son's allergies?

We avoid soy.