Menu

need help trimming M/L chapters from Bio course

Some things have changed in my house recently (long story) and we will be doing Biology for Science for my 9th grader (this was decided yesterday!). I purchased the Macaw book for the ipad and I'm going to do  corresponding labs from Illustrated guide but there is no way my student can get through all 35 chapters in a year.  I need to trim a bunch of it.  I'm sure dropping Human Anatomy (6 chapters, we'll cover it in health) will help but that's still too many for my dyslexic no motivation kid. So what did you or would you cut out if you needed to get the book down to 24 chapters?

I think it depends on what you have covered before. With my oldest, we dropped the Ecology unit. There was nothing in it that we hadn't done in 7th grade life science. 

Dropping the human anatomy section works, but I can't think of anything else that I would think of as optional for a standard scope and sequence. If the rest isn't doable, I'd choose by interest or by what she has already studied.

• Like 1

We covered Ch. 1-14, dropped Ch. 15, covered Ch. 16-21, and dropped Ch. 22+.  And, from the ML lab book we did the following labs: 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 13, 14, and 16.   We also used Khan Academy videos and some Crash Course videos.  That took around 180 days to do for us.

• Like 1

I kind of need to keep the the Ecology, DS has a career interest in Environmental Science. I'm thinking I'll shift the Ecology to the end of the year with the Plants and Animals sections and maybe we go a bit long or do a summer intensive session and call it Ecology.But if we don't get to it fully it won't be a huge deal.

• Like 1

If you have the TM for Miller Levine, it has 3 paths, a remedial, on level, and honors. Honors uses the whole book. On level left a few chapters out I think and remedial leaves out even more. It seems Pearson has killed my online access so I can't look it up for you though. Since both my kids are finished with Biology, it isn't worth it to me to try to go through their tech support to get it back.  :svengo:

• Like 1

No, I bought the ipad version, cheap with lots of bells and whistles plus no shipping time.  I've pretty much settled on the plan I listed from above, which is just me putting off the actual decision of what to cut until next semester.  We'll do the Cells, Genetics and most if not all the Evolution chapters this semester then finish Evolution before going on to Plants, Animals, and Ecology Chapters 2nd semester and into summer if needed. If it looks like we can't get to Evolution until 2nd semester then we'll drop the Ecology and instead do a semesters worth of Ecology/Environmental Science over the summer (creek stomping, hiking, water testing, bird watching etc....)

• Like 1