Menu

Dr. Hive: what did I do to my shoulder?

plansrme

Despite my better judgment, I set out to run this morning at about 6:30 when the humidity was at a whopping 99%.  Yep, lovely.  It rained last night, and the wooden steps off of the wooden deck at my back door--slated for replacement this year--were apparently awfully slippery.  I'd gone down in flip-flops with the puppy a few minutes earlier, but this time, in running shoes--ugh.  I went down hard, landing on my butt on the brick below.  Ignoring the bruise on my hip, I presume from hitting a step, I seem to have messed up my shoulder.  I can move my arm, but it hurts--a lot--to move every which way, and much of the standard range-of-motion exercises, I have to help it with the other hand.  It mostly hurts on the back of my shoulder, near the base of my shoulder blade, but it really hurts everywhere.  I could have slammed that shoulder against the step, but I'm not sure. I really don't remember catching myself with that arm, and the hand, wrist and elbow are fine.  So, any ideas on what I did to myself? Is this a no-brainer in the "would you go to a doctor" category?  Because I really don't want to see a real dr.

And OF COURSE I am wearing my favorite, tightest pullover running bra that I am probably going to have to cut off of myself.  Thank God I wasn't carrying the puppy when I fell, though; he would never have forgiven me. 

Barring swelling or intense pain, I might wait a day or so to see if it starts getting better.

However.

If you caught yourself, unknowingly, you could have torn the rotator cuff.  I'm dealing with that at the moment myself, and am being so stubborn about the going to the doc.  Don't be me.  They don't heal well on their own.  

• Like 2

Barring swelling or intense pain, I might wait a day or so to see if it starts getting better.

However.

If you caught yourself, unknowingly, you could have torn the rotator cuff.  I'm dealing with that at the moment myself, and am being so stubborn about the going to the doc.  Don't be me.  They don't heal well on their own.  

Ugh.  Rotator cuff--not fun.  I hope it's not that.  After a soak in an Epsom salt bath, I'm thinking it is mostly bruised when I hit it on the edge of the step.  I don't think I caught myself; my hands were not even wet.  Well, maybe from my tears, but not from wet leaves, which is what I slipped on now that it's light, and I can see.  

My porch replacement project just got moved to the top of the to-do list, and Dad's new car just moved down a notch.  

Sorry about your rotator cuff; I've had friends with RC injuries.  It's not a quick fix.

• Like 1