Menu

Is it better to study classics by genre or to match history periods?

Hi! I am starting to take on the idea that I may break the rules and study classics and some great books by genre rather than matching them to our history cycle. I was thinking that this would be okay since by the time we really start we would have finished one rotation of history anyway. I would, of course, expect us to spend some time reading about the the historical time period of that work and I was also planning on dd to keep a timeline book on our second rotation so this would help us keep it in context. I read some sections of the WTM and like SWB plan for keeping a notebook as you work on the classics. I like the idea of reading about the work's historical time period and having dd write a short paper about it.

What do you think of this idea?

I also like this plan because I have noticed that we really get bogged down when forcing works to follow our history. I also think that sometimes works are presented too early in a student's life just so that it will fit with the history time period. These are just my humble thoughts.

Just curious what more experienced moms think! Would we be losing too much by not matching literature to our history cycle?

Thanks for any advice!:001_smile:

Some books should reflect the historical times that you are studying, while others serve other purposes--comparative literature, focus on one genre, or even just entertainment!

I take a sort of relaxed approach to this--I match literature and history quite a bit, and I'm glad for the specific suggestions in WTM, Sonlight, etc. for how to do that, but I also think that there is a lot of value in reading widely all the time. Plus if we are reading in two historical periods, the earlier one might keep previous information fresh in our heads, and also provide opportunities for comparison of settings and attitudes. It's all good!

Hmm, I'm sure it would work. I don't have much high school experience, but we are starting ancient lit now. The only disadvantage I can see from doing it by genre in the ancient lit level, is that you may miss how some of the peoples, places and characters that are interwoven throughout different pieces of literature. Herodotus may refer to something that you'll read in Plutarch's Lives. The Odyssey refers to Agamemnom's death and we find out more detail about the death in Aeschylus' Agamemnom. Oedipus Rex is the basis for some Shakespeare and if read first can shed light on Shakespeare's play. Of course these 2 could be done together since they're both drama/tragedies.

Doing them out of time periods may prevent the feeling of becoming bogged down in one time period and that may be more beneficial to you. Interested students make better learners.

Yes, that is part of what got me thinking about this. I think some of this came about when we decided to use Classical Writing too. The levels above Homer integrate a reading list that won't match our history cycle (though maybe this is where I should make a change :lol:) and I am already feeling unorganized about this. I was thinking maybe I should pick a couple of biography/historical fictions and just a couple of works for the time period we are in and then use the google book to study a genre or two and works to go with it. We could work on a couple of genres each year until we are finished. I really need to sit down and look at this because I'm not sure I'm even making sense anymore!:D

Thank you so much! You have been so helpful as I try to sort all this out.