Menu

adhd in girls?

So, I know in theory that ADHD shows up differently in girls.... but I don't really 'grok' the difference.   Isn't it just the idea that girls tend to be more drifting off in imagination?  In my head, that appears as the kid staring out the window daydreaming.  But due to some little things the NP said the other day -- now I am thinking.... Can you be ADHD and really appearing to be attentive?  And just having numerous little tiny drifting off/pulling your attention back episodes?  Rather than completely drifted off as in staring out the window?

ADHD can show itself differently within all individuals. I have a predominantly hyperactive type girl, and a predominantly innattentive girl (I would say she's hypOactive). And a combined type boy.

As far as attention, kids with ADHD usually have trouble regulating attention. Not an inabity to attend - this may be hyper focusing, drifting attention, jumping from thing to thing, but I doesn't just have to be totally checking out. My kids sometimes phase in and out of attending to me because they are trying to attend, but it's hard when so many sensations (a sound, a sight, a smell, a noise, a touch or itch or poke, hunger, etc) are needing to be regulated and put into priority (eg ignore the ticking of the clock, attend to the voice talking to me know, remember the joke I heard to tell my sister later). So it could show is losing and regaining focus.

Absance seizures are another possible explanation.

• Like 1