Menu

Need good recipe for lacto-fermented SWEET pickles

klmama

I made some lacto-fermented sweet pickles with a recipe I found online.  They were expensive and they tasted terrible.  They used whey and quite a bit of lemon juice and real maple syrup (instead of the vinegar and honey/sugar I'm used to with refrigerator pickles), and I did not like them at all.  What a waste of time, effort, money, and good produce!  Have you made lacto-fermented sweet pickles that actually taste good?  Will you please share your favorite recipe?

I used a recipe that claimed to be based on the Eat Fat, Lose Fat recipe, and it used either maple syrup or honey for sweetener.  Since I've read that the good bacteria grow better with maple syrup, that's what I used.  I think there was just too much of it. Maple syrup just doesn't taste right in these, especially with the quantity of lemon juice.  I think I'll just call this batch a loss, drain and rinse off the brine, and add them to the vinegar/honey left from some refrigerator pickles I had made previously that I liked.  Hopefully, that will make them palatable so that the veggies don't go to waste.  I have another bunch of cucumbers, and I'll try lacto-fermented again using honey, and maybe a different receipe altogether!  Again, does anyone have a really good one?