Menu

Puppy Questions...

kristi26

I'm still doing puppy research though we aren't to the point where we are actually totally ready to get a puppy (DH is not totally on board yet).  Can you help me figure out how much we should expect to budget for a family dog?  What sorts of things need to be included in that budget other than food?

Thanks! :)

Vet bills (regular plus emergency fund)

Toys (Kongs and similar brands and quality toys like antlers are pricey!)

Crate and bedding

Collars and leash

Training classes

Paper towels and enzyme cleaner 😜

Boarding or sitters when you go out of town

• Like 2

Vet bills can be managed with a monthly insurance or health plan.

Training classes are VITAL. Do not consider getting a dog unless you can commit to this fully. So many people forget to do this then blame the dog when they act like a dog. 😒

Dog sitters are nice to have. I have found that around me they cost the same everywhere basically. Some may seam cheaper but are not as they nickle and dime you. So keep that in mind.

• Like 1

We spend about $30/mo on food for a 70 lb golden. Maybe another $15 or so on supplements (GlycoFlex and fish oil for joints). We have a local pet store that does vaccination clinics so that helps a lot with routine vet visits, although we do have a regular vet for illness. Probably $40-50/year for routine shots and heartworm test. Wish we had started pet insurance when he was a puppy but we didn't. Also there is heartworm and flea/tick preventative which is $55 every quarter.

We paid $50 for puppy kindergarten and $75 for basic obedience classes. Haven't gone further than that, although I would like to. And then there is grooming--about $45 every quarter and we bathe at home in between. We pay around $150 every summer to board him. Next summer I am hoping he will be at the point we can just have someone come over a few times a day to feed him and check on him.

Wow as I type all this out, I realize he is pretty expensive. Good thing we love him so much. ;)

ETA: We get the GlycoFlex and fish oil from Amazon. MUCH cheaper than buying it from the vet or pet store.

• Like 1

We have a health plan for our dog, it isn't insurance but it covers routine stuff so it is spread over the year, his medication is also on it (flea and tick, heart worm). We go to Banfield in Petsmart and that is who it is through. They have different levels based on need. I think we pay about $45 a month.

Also research dog foods. Not all are created equal.

• Like 1

Where do you find pet insurance?

It's not something I recommend w/o first doing an absolute ton of research.  There are often many (many!) exclusions for hereditary issues, and premiums are apt to increase greatly as the pet ages.  We get a discount on VPI through DH's work and I still can't make it make sense for us.  But our budget isn't so limited that an unexpected vet bill or three is going to cause a crisis.  I do know other people have pet insurance and I know a (very small) handful of people who wouldn't be w/o it.  Some of the pet insurance companies are VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance), Trupanion, Pet Plan, Pet First, Healthy Paws.  There are lots of them, and all of them have websites.

Do be aware that pet insurance and wellness plans are different things.  The Banfield Hospitals (located in Petsmarts) seem to be popular among those who prefer to keep their pet on a wellness plan.

A few other things a pet may need --

Monthly heart worm preventative and some type of flea/tick preventative (costs vary depending on size of the dog)

Grooming supplies -- A comb and a brush, shampoo and nail clippers are a minimum.  At the more expensive end would be a dog who requires regular grooming by a dog groomer (or buying a quality set of clippers and other equipment to do it yourself).

• Like 3