Menu

Recommendations for geometry supplementation for public school kid

I am having a smack down on my over reaching "after schooling" and reality.

I am heaping too much on my kid to do as "after school" and need to dial it down.

I am embarrassed to ask if geometry supplementation is any less importance than algebra?

D12 is working on Foerster Alg 1 and I am adding WWS 1, easy grammar, Spelling to this and all of it to be done after she gets home from 7th grade

public school each day.

I definitely want her to continue Algebra with Foerster for 1,2 and precal. I am hoping/praying that WWS really helps my reluctant writer became a

solid writer. The Easy Grammar is really needed and she is not a very good speller.

The plan is to slow the after school Foerster Alg 1 down to 30 mins 3-4 X a weekly depending on how time consuming WWS 1 turns out to be.

She will be in alg 1 in  public school 7th grade starting in 2 weeks.

I am hoping she can successfully complete WWS 1 in 7th grade and WWS 2 in 8th grade.

It seems like we will not have enough  time to complete full programs of Alg 1, geometry and precal  at slower pace.

I was wanting to cut down on geometry. One idea is The Great Courses Interactive Geometry program with James Tanton.

Do you think that would be a good idea?  Or TabletClass geometry.

I have no experience with the geometry programs you mentioned.  We used Patty Paper Geometry as a fun intro to geometry.  It is intended as a geometry supplement.

From the archives:

Can you tell me about Patty Paper Geometry?

Patty Paper Geometry

Please tell me about Patty Paper Geometry

and something more recent:

Patty Paper Geometry now sold by author

HTH!

• Like 1

I would first consider the purpose of afterschooling in your dd's case, as it does not sound like the purpose is acceleration.  Better instruction, harder problems, maybe a bit of both?  Are you using the school's math program as a form of review?

Not knowing more, I would approach it this way for maximum efficiency:  figure out what the school's program is lacking with regard to your student's needs and then add only that.  When better algebra instruction is needed, I'd pull out Foerster and/or aops videos.  For supplementing problems, Foerster is an excellent resource and it's a simple matter to select problems from Foerster based on what topic she is covering at school.  I wouldn't do it every day of the week.  Alcumus is another resource for supplementing on a topic basis.

For geometry, I would probably let the school teach it and supplement with Alcumus for harder problems unless there is some chance that she might be allowed to test out of the course if she takes it at home ahead of time.  If you'd like to keep a text on-hand for supplemental instruction, you might consider Jurgensen (straightforward), though it may or may not prove to be useful, depending on what text the school is using.  Eta, alternatively, if you want her to experience more depth, I'd consider going through the AoPS geometry text over the summer after taking the regular course at school, though it would be time consuming even skipping what she already knows.  It could be done the other way around but it might be a bit of torture to sit through the school course after aops.

Edited by wapiti

I would first consider the purpose of afterschooling in your dd's case, as it does not sound like the purpose is acceleration.  Better instruction, harder problems, maybe a bit of both?  Are you using the school's math program as a form of review?

Not knowing more, I would approach it this way for maximum efficiency:  figure out what the school's program is lacking with regard to your student's needs and then add only that.  When better algebra instruction is needed, I'd pull out Foerster and/or aops videos.  For supplementing problems, Foerster is an excellent resource and it's a simple matter to select problems from Foerster based on what topic she is covering at school.  I wouldn't do it every day of the week.  Alcumus is another resource for supplementing on a topic basis.

For geometry, I would probably let the school teach it and supplement with Alcumus for harder problems unless there is some chance that she might be allowed to test out of the course if she takes it at home ahead of time.  If you'd like to keep a text on-hand for supplemental instruction, you might consider Jurgensen (straightforward), though it may or may not prove to be useful, depending on what text the school is using.  Eta, alternatively, if you want her to experience more depth, I'd consider going through the AoPS geometry text over the summer after taking the regular course at school, though it would be time consuming even skipping what she already knows.  It could be done the other way around but it might be a bit of torture to sit through the school course after aops.

FWIW, in our family, it would be a bit unrealistic to complete an entire standard math course outside of school on top of all the regular schoolwork during the school year.  We have had arrangements where an outside course replaces the school's course and we've done non-standard courses in summer, but my older kids would certainly balk at afterschooling what will be taught at school very shortly.  FWIW, my dd's high school is using a Common Core geometry text and she needs to test out of the course (after completing the aops course last year as her regular math course at her middle school).  The trouble is that the CC text is just so different that it makes preparing for that test rather irritating - it's organized very differently and there's significant reliance on language/jargon that wasn't used in her prior course.

Very, very awesome advice, I think I will really reflect on how to complete this. Yes, I have no interest in accelerating. We already did that by one academic year in math to start PreAP Algebra I in 7th grade in our district by credit by exam. 

I live in Texas and we have new TEKs in Algebra I, geometry and Alg 2, precal this year. I will see what textbooks (as they are new) and compare with the Foerster and see how I can supplement.

I just want her to be solid in her subjects and based on 6th grade, not impressed with the lack of rigor from her school. they cover subjects very lightly.