Menu

Abeka vs. Math Mammoth

Aza

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find it in the archives. 

I've always heard about how advanced Abeka math is and how its the best program. All of the homeschooling mothers I know use Abeka, and to these mothers, not using Abeka is like declaring that your child is subpar.  After a lot of research, I decided I wanted to use a mastery curriculum, and settled on trying Math U See for one child and Math Mammoth for the other. My younger one is using Math U See primer and my older one is just beginning 1st grade, so far I'm happy with both programs. For the most part, I can withstand the social pressure within our homeschool group to use Abeka, but there's still the thought in the back of my mind that wonders if all of those more experienced mothers are right. 

If anyone who has used both programs has thoughts about how they measure up, I would appreciate hearing about it. 

Abeka goes full speed for elementary, I'd say through 4th-5th or so, but slows way down to pretty much what the average public school would be doing in the upper grades. Prealgebra in 8th and algebra 1 in 9th. Plenty of public schools are adequately rolling algebra in 8th grade.

I haven't used Math Mammoth. I know it goes up to 7 now, but I don't know if it's considered prealgebra or not. If their 7=prealg they're a year ahead of Abeka, if not, they're on the same track as Abeka, BUT, a kid will understand what they're doing better with the two options you mentioned. I remember Abeka being a lot of here's this method, do it so many times you memorize it, and move onto what's next. If a kid is never forced to wrestle with the why and how that method works it won't be remembered long term. Their constant spiral keeps it current for the now though.

If anyone questions your choice, tell them your goal is to foster a conceptual understanding of math that will be a bridge to the abstraction of higher math. Tell them you believe rote memorization of procedures without mathematical understanding will not help them in the long run.  :001_cool:

MUS might best be supplemented with something like Singapore-style word problems a level below the MUS current level.

With Math Mammoth, be sure you're getting enough review to ensure retention. It does not offer enough review for some kids. That can be easily supplemented.

• Like 2

I use MM and I don't know anything about Abeka math so I can't compare for you. But the fact that so many people on this forum use MM, and almost no one I know of on here uses Abeka (I'm sure there must be some but the posts about MM far outweigh posts about Abeka math) should say something about the merits of MM.

And yes, I believe MM 7 is pre-algebra.

I think you should just ignore those other moms and give them the line Tiramisu suggested above. :)

• Like 1

With DD#1, I used A Beka through 1st grade math, then switched to MM 2A.  MM seems to be much more focused on developing conceptual understanding, and I think it's laying a stronger foundation for later mathematical ideas.  I have needed to add in drill for multiplication facts, but that's pretty simple to do (and my purchase of MM even included some software I could use for it, though I've chosen other methods).

(With DD#2, I haven't decided if I'm going to go ahead and switch to MM at the 1st grade level, or switch at 2nd grade level like I did with DD#1.  I need to figure that out.)

Have these other moms given serious consideration to the other programs out there?  Or did they all just hear someone say that A Beka is a strong program, so they went with that?  I'm curious as to how this attitude became prevalent in your social circle.  

I use both together. I use Math Mammoth as my main teaching program and add in A Beka speed drills and flash cards during math time. Later in the day I assign independent work (i.e. seat work), and I assign one of the A Beka math worksheets. I do have the A Beka curriculum lesson plans, so I do keep an eye on it and use it as a reference for teaching concepts if I need some ideas. Generally, I want to teach for conceptual understanding, not only memorisation, which is why I prefer a Singapore-style program over A Beka. But, A Beka, being spiral, is great for constant review. So, I use them each to their best advantage.

Aza, please don't worry about those other moms. 

On these boards, many-many-many people dislike Abeka math and would tell you that it isn't anywhere near the top math program that is out there now. At one point in the homeschooling landscape, the 'top' math programs widely available to homeschoolers were Saxon & Abeka. Now, there are so many programs available that you can choose the one that fits your child's learning style (and your teacher style) and just about be assured you have a top notch program. 

I use Abeka because it fits me & my kids' learning style. I've used other programs for some grades & some kids and always come back to Abeka. That doesn't mean it is the best out there for everyone or even most people. 

SilverMoon is right that Abeka moves pretty quickly in 1st-3rd grades, but slows way down starting in 4th and repeats quite a bit in 5th-6th with bigger numbers. However, I think you will find that MM moves through the same material as Abeka & includes a lot more geometry, metric-knowledge, and conceptual understanding than Abeka (especially if you don't use the curriculum lesson plans). Abeka's weakness is geometry & metric in the early years, IMO.

Just smile & nod when the other moms look askance. The best program is the one that gets done.  :hat:

• Like 2

I use ABeka, and I also sometimes suffer from grass is greener syndrome. It is not the only strong program, and it has its weaknesses just like every other program out there. I use it in the early years because it works best for us in memorizing math facts and is a spiral, colorful curriculum with a well organized teachers manual. It's weaknesses can be light on geometry, overkill on drills, sometimes light on the deep, conceptual thinking and less challenging word problems. I supplement with lots of manipulatives when I present the lesson for deeper conceptual thinking, math games (this year I bought Right Start math games), and some more challenging word problems as well as some fun, conceptual thinking math like Life of Fred.

Curriculum is a tool, and you are the teacher. We use ABeka as a tool in our house and add in other things as other tools for the goal of a strong understanding in math. If A Beka is not the right tool for how you need to teach math, find the right tool for you and your child. Many prefer mastery, and A Beka does not meet that criteria. For me, we need spiral, and other very strong math programs do not meet that criteria for me. Use what is best for you. Know it's strengths and weaknesses before you start and decide if anything is weak enough to be addressed elsewhere with supplemental materials. If it meets your criteria, use it and love it.

The whole point of homeschooling is being able to approach our child's education in a unique way that fits their needs. I don't homeschool just to switch from the collective public school opinion to the local moms' opinion. Both have their place, but you get to make the decisions that are best for you. If it comes up, just say you preferred a mastery approach. You don't have to answer to anyone else. Just because they have that stigma that A Beka is the only way doesn't mean it is fully backed by research or full understanding of the options available.

• Like 2

I love MM. I am not sure the way I do is the best way to do MM

1, At first I sit with my DD and do the 100 page review and teach her how to do stuff.

2. Then I let her go thru the normal curriculum so that she can be independent.

This method has worked for us  until now.

But now I use some TT for independent study too