Menu

WTMA Prep for Rhetoric and TOG Ancients Lit - worth 2 credits or just 1 Eng 9 credit?

My plan for DD is to do TOG Y2 Literature (including the papers and writing assignments) with additional grammar and vocabulary.  We are also adding TC lectures, and a more detailed Dante study.  She is taking Rhetoric I with WTMA this year.  I plan two credits.  

I think it will depend on the amount of time put in.  As an example, last year DD did English I through Blue Tent, Ancient Literature with WTMA, and LTOW1 with Circe.  At the end of the year I only gave two credits for those classes combined.  I shuffled the papers she wrote for LTOW to her Ancient Literature credit (she used the books for some of her essays), and put the rest with the English I.  She just didn't spend enough time on LTOW for me to warrant a separate credit.

Ymmv.

• Like 2

Were you doing the TOG together or with a class or co-op?

If just doing on your own, I'd love to read more about how MUCH of TOG you actually were able to accomplish.  This student wants to do TOG and the last time I went through it with a high schooler, I assigned way too much.

Thanks in advance if you can offer any guidance there.

• Like 1

Were you doing the TOG together or with a class or co-op?

If just doing on your own, I'd love to read more about how MUCH of TOG you actually were able to accomplish.  This student wants to do TOG and the last time I went through it with a high schooler, I assigned way too much.

Thanks in advance if you can offer any guidance there.

We do TOG together.  

We adapted TOG Y1 last year because DD did the discussions with Ancient Literature, so there was a lot of overlap with what TOG had assigned.  We also used some of the Greek and Roman Mythology MOCC course with Peter Stark, which I think is excellent material if you are doing it on your own.  I actually took his course last summer in order to be able to discuss the books with DD.   The Y1 history was actually a little immature/review for DD, particularly the We Are the Greeks/Romans books, so we added TC lectures, some of The History of the Ancient World chapters, and the MOCC The Ancient Greeks for the history portion.

I think a lot depends on the particular student.  I have an avid reader who handles mature literature easily.  We are arguing right now because she swiped my copy of Inferno and doesn't want to wait until the school year for the next two volumes.  It may look different when my younger DD, who reads a lot slower, goes through R.

• Like 1

I am not sure if this will help, but my son took the Intro to Rhetoric course last year and the Ancient Lit course from WTMA.  He received a language arts credit for both.  In the online conference this summer Susan said it is normal to have 4-8 Language Arts credits.  So that's how I'm doing it.  :)

• Like 1

I'm planning on giving a full credit for WTMA Intro to Rhetoric based on time estimates posted previously on the WTM boards.

DD#1 will have also be doing American Lit (full year), a Poetry class (1st sem), & a speech class (2nd sem). Not sure yet how those will roll into credits yet, but am leaning toward making those three together one credit.

• Like 1