Menu

Write Guide

Guest sherrienull

Guest sherrienull

We are looking for a flexible writing class/tutor, who can help our 17 year-old son polish and improve his writing skills. He has a fairly heavy load already...AP Bio, AP Econ, Pre-Calc, Debate,etc. so we want instruction that can adhere to the demands of his schedule. He will be taking PSAT, then SAT English prep at the beginning of the year, so wanted something to be flexible enough to kick in after that.   Found "Write Guide"so far...anyone have any experience with it? Thanks

Yes, we used Write Guide. I would recommend that you define clearly what you want and the timeframe when you sign up.  We were happy with our use of Write Guide as I sent my expectations and those were met.  DD had been writing essays using Jensen's Format Writing and I wanted her to get feedback and experience with revising her work.  When I signed her up with Write Guide for one month, I indicated that I would like for the tutor to work with her on revising 4 of her previously written essays.  

The reviews that I've read where people weren't happy with Write Guide were folks who didn't go in with a clear goal. . .and they didn't feel like time was used well and not much got done.

Also, you should know that your student will receive their input from the tutor at the same time every day (it is set up to automatically send at the same time).  Your student will need to respond by a certain time in order to get more tutor input the next day.  So, while your student can get feedback daily (weekdays), it takes a bit of coordination to make sure days aren't missed/lost.

I was pleased with the way the tutor worked with DD to improve her essays.  She provided positive feedback as well as what could be improved.  At the end of the month, I asked for an overall assessment of DD's writing skills, which the tutor was willing to provide.

• Like 1

I agree with Pegasus.  We used Write Guide and found the same.  You need to understand how they work - small increments in order to not overwhelm the student.  But, if you have deadlines, you need to make things clear.  Also, the instructor only responds when the student submits something, so the student needs to submit something every day.  I have to say that we were happy with our experience, once we figured out how best to utilize them.  Also, we had hired them for my very reluctant writers. 

• 1 year later...

Hi, Everyone,

We have been using WriteGuide.com for some time and are happy with them, but they closed shop. :sad:

Does anyone know any other similar program out there? Or could recommend good writing tutors?

Thank you very much.

There was just another WriteGuide thread that said that Mr Lux, who worked with WriteGuide as a tutor, has set up his own online writing tutoring. I'm on my phone and can't search for the thread, but it was something like Lux writing. Mr Lux was one of our WriteGuide tutors and we liked him very much.