Menu

LLATL or FLL??

jenniferp8

Which would you choose? Looking mostly for grammar/copywork/dictation. I am using a separate writing program (Bravewriter). I have two girls: 1st grader (would use Blue level LLATL or FLL 1 and 2) and 4th grader (would use Orange level LLATL or FLL 3). From what I can tell LLATL sounds like it would be more fun (and incorporate more phonics practice in the blue level?) but FLL looks more straight forward with less time involvement each day. Pros or cons to one or the other?

My dd didn't do well with the cut and paste of LLATL Blue, but for those who enjoy it  this would be a great program. The use of cute little readers and picture books was wonderful for my dd. The hands on way it uses letter tiles , word wheels, and flip books for learning sounds and words is fun and effective.

I don't have experience with the other program you are asking about. I have seen it and it looks good, just very different.

It depends on what you want.

OK, I'm looking at ELTL. I'm not familiar with that program. Do you buy a teacher book and a workbook? Best place to buy?  Also, do you have experience with the handwriting lessons? Are they worth getting too?

There is just one necessary book. The workbook is completely optional. You could just use a composition book, but depending on the child, a workbook might make life easier.

I haven't seen samples of the handwriting lessons. I wish they had them on the website (or I could find them there).

I think they have a lulu store. Lulu has sales occasionally if you wanted to buy a print book.

There is a yahoogroup and the creator of ELTL is very active and helpful in answering question. I think her email is on the website and you could always reach out to her that way.

ELTL

We just started it with 1st grader and love it so far. I bought a hard copy teacher book. It has a copy work sentence you could write out, if you wanted to save money. I bought the workbook ebook from lulu, since it was cheaper. I printed it all out and put it in a binder. You can choose from several different handwriting fonts, and it has a little more than the copywork sentence in the teacher book, like drawing a picture to illustrate a poem.

I love the booklist, and it helps me to incorporate more read alouds. I prefer that over literature excerpts.