Menu

Memoria Press Poetry & Short Stories: American Literature

Reefgazer

Does anyone have any experience with this poetry book?  The MP website says it is appropriate for grades 3-12, but that is such a wide age span, it is not very helpful to me.  I am working through grammar stage poetry with DS, so I assume starting this in middle school would work well, but I need some opinions on this.  If you are familiar with this book, should we just read selected works in middle school, and then save the rest for high school?  Or should we work through this in a more orderly, methodical manner?

I already bought the book, and it is very different from the grammar stage book - whole new ballgame!  I guess you could use it either way I mentioned, but I was just wondering which was best, considering some of the poems are very basic and others very long and involved.  I was going to pick and choose for middle school, and save some for high school, but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea.

I think that the grade recommendations on the Poetry page is for all of the programs - and they have, on that same page, a Poetry for the Grammar Stage (which is what's recommended for elementary/grammar ages).

This particular book (Poetry and Short Stories: American Literature) is scheduled in their 8th grade package, I believe. We're using it (along with several novels) for 9th grade literature. I only JUST ordered it, though, so I do not have it "in hand".

• Like 1

I used some of this last year with my ninth grade son. We did the Raven and Rip van Winkle (he's not willing literature student! Lol)

It was quite challenging, but I thought the questions were excellent. Because I knew it was going to be difficult for him I specifically picked selections that I thought he would enjoy the best.

I plan to use it with my other children but I don't expect any one of them to work through the whole book as we use lots of other materials as well. I plan to pick one or two selections per year based on their interest in skill level. I've done the same with the grammar stage poetry.

Not sure if that helps any but I really love this resource!

• Like 1