Menu

Paging Dr Hive - recurring fever?

8circles

I will most likely call for an appt for me & at least one child tomorrow.  But I'm feverish so I'm just needing some chatting about it to make sure I'm not off my rocker.  Bear with me & plase add any comments you have.

I have 4 children.  

One got a cold w/ fever 3 weeks ago.  Fever is gone, cough remains (sometimes wet, sometimes dry), now complaining of ears hurting.  I'm afraid of possible ear infection but this child has become adamant that he will not take any medicine.  So he'll do cough drops & nebulizer treatments (not even sure if this is still helping him but it's one of the only things he'll do) and hot tea.  Appetite is still low.

Another child had a cold w/fever last weekend.  Took him in on day 5 of fever & he has pneumonia.  On abx & pred & continuing ned treatments.  No more fever but still feeling lousy.  Started fever again just now.  [sigh] i think that means he needs to go back in tomorrow.

Another child started the same cold w/ fever 6 days ago.  Fever was present every night except one (I think, it's been hard to keep track). Ned treatments & treating symptoms as needed.

Another child developed fever 3 days ago & I'm watching, treating symptoms as needed.

I started cold w/fever 10 days ago.  Fever for a few days, then gone but other symptoms present.  Cough has now lessened but sore throat is worse, fever is back for sure today, maybe yesterday.  I'm not sleeping well since all the other kids need me, so I know that's contributing to the length of my illness.  

So, who should see the doctor tomorrow?  This isn't an issue of cost but of schedule & energy.  DH will take the day off tomorrow if he can, but I don't know yet.  So it may be me driving around & I'm so darn tired.  We also have guests staying with us.  So far the 2 guests & DH are healthy.  

I vote that you & the red-highlighted kid see the doctor tomorrow.  In my experience, getting better & then worse again has generally meant the ill person developed a secondary infection that needed a doctor visit. 

Or that the antibiotic worked for a bit and then stopped working (because of a population of resistant bacteria).