Menu

Weird stuff in the bible 2.0 version, AC Edition

albeto.

We might think that we should be concerned about copies of copies.  Yes, that's a valid question.  But considering how LONG copies of the originals were kept in use, it's a good bet that, when also comparing and contrasting with the thousands of manuscripts/fragments that show the very little actual variation (again, in meaning of passages, not grammar, etc.), we have a pretty solid idea of what the authors meant to say.  (Take for example the Codex Vaticanus, a copy of the New Testament, made sometime in the 4th century.  It wasn't re-inked to continue being used until the 10th century.  So this ONE copy was in use for about 600 years.  Manuscripts and other writings were treated much differently back then. :) )  

This has never been accomplished in 2000 years of trying, thus the many varied translations, from KJV to Douay-Rheims to "the message." It partially explains why two xian communities can hold incongruous beliefs, even beliefs diametrically opposed to one another, and yet both site scripture as evidence for the claim their interpretations was what the authors really meant to say. Another possible reason is that different groups of believers in the early cult of Jesus held different beliefs, passing them along orally and in written form (cult referring to small group of believers, not modern day referral to religious and spiritual charlatans). It wasn't until the consolidation of certain texts in the 4th century that these different backgrounds were expected to represent one cohesive whole. They don't of course, and that's where faith comes in.

We should give the Bible the same deference that we give other ancient manuscripts.  Tacitus' Histories and Annals--we have "early" manuscripts from the 9th and 11th centuries and the originals were actually written in the FIRST century.  Do we doubt that we have a pretty darn good idea of what he wrote down?  No.  The gap between the originals of the NT and the earliest copies is really not that big in the grand scheme of things considering all of the corroboration there is.

I agree! And yet time after time we see appeals to make exceptions for this particular document. Considering the amount of historical record available regarding the time and place Jesus of Nazareth lived, claims should be held accountable to information we do have. They do not, and again, this is where faith comes in. Faith, and the assumption that because so many people have always "known" it to be true, it must be true (appeal to tradition, appeal to the masses). 

• Like 4

The things I find odd or distressing in the Bible are things that many on this thread have already mentioned. There is just so much disturbing content yet the book is revered as holy. That's a definite disconnect for me.

Me too. The last thing I let go of was the idea the bible could be used as a source of moral, or spiritual, or philosophical guidance. Without faith, I no longer saw the value in reminding myself that I'm a flawed person, incapable of earning the respect and love of a universal, benevolent source of perfect love, even if that source was allegorical. I know others see stories of the OT or NT god as a vengeful, retaliatory, bully-like character and that plays on their moral code in a way that makes them consider the bible seriously for the first time, but for me, it's the personal call to humility = personal call to self-loathing that got to me. I couldn't continue seeing it as any kind of moral or ethical guide. 

• Like 3

Modern translations are translated FROM the original languages.  

<snip>

Now, do we have the originals as in the exact piece of paper or whatever material it was written on by the original author?  Nope. Should we be concerned about copies?  Perhaps, but we can know that the process was meticulous

This is just the tip of why I question the legitimacy of the words written. No original documents. How can 'we' know that the process was meticulous? There's no way to actually know or prove such a thing, especially when no originals exist. And at that point, faith enters..., which is where we'll need to branch off & just agree to disagree.

• Like 2