Menu

8 yo claims SOTW is the "cheat code" of history

We've been reading the Landmark edition of "Landing of the Pilgrims" by Jamas Daughtery (which like all of Daughtery's books is a great read). It mentioned the difference between the Pilgrim's, who were trying to reform the Church of England, vs. the Seperatists, who were seperating from the Church of England. I stopped, asked my kids how the Church of England had been formed. My 8 yo launched on a discourse of King Henry VIII, the Pope, Anne Bolyn, Bloody Mary, and Queen Elizabeth. When he finally took a breath I asked him how on earth he knew all of that. I mean, we read a lot but still! He said, "You gave me the cheat code" (he is really into Ages of Empires, you can get "cheat codes" to go on to higher levels). My response, "What?!" He says, "You know, the Story of the World tapes we listened to last year." He is one of SOTW's biggest fans!

When she is cleaning up her room or drawing, she often has the SOTW CD's playing in the background. She has learned so much that way. I hate to admit it, but once I realized that she was doing that, I stopped reading SOTW to her and did US history unit studies instead. It's like doubling up, and she doesn't even realize it.

I read her fiction and non-fiction living books focussing primarily on the US, and assign her some reading in the Sonlight 5 collection from the same time periods. Once she had outlining down, I pretty much dropped it. No need for busy work, IMO. And we are starting a group in a few weeks to work through Critical Thinking in US History together--I started it with DD but realized very quickly that it would be a lot more fun in a group.

Probably I'm cheating, but oh my goodness, the conversations we have! The times when DD just reels off her own analysis of world history! The times when I ask her something about our other reading, and she brings in world history going back about 400 years!

What have we lost from this? I think that she doesn't have as clear an idea of when things happened in relation to one another as I would like. I should probably bite the bullet and make her do a timeline book. But I really don't want to, as this is so delightful. I just ordered one of those games from Rainbow Resources where you have to put events into the order in which they happened, and I'm going to try that first.

I have been using SOTW for several years, but this is the first year I have had the CD,s. I was playing the beginning of year 1 for my ds9 in the car the other day. Three days later my dd4 proceeded to quote verbatum the definition of an archeologist that she had heard on the tape. I didn't even know she was listening! I am going to get the other sets for use in the car now. They don't even realize they are learning.