Menu

best crafts for 5th grader studying ancients?

Stacia

My dd loves doing crafts. I don't mind pulling things together, but I'd like to do some different things than we did the first time around (used STOW I Activity Guide the first time around).

I like the looks of the Hands & Hearts kits, just because everything would already be in the box. I also like the looks of both of the Hands-On Ancient People (first 2 books in the link) books.

So, is there a particular book or two that you have used for ancient-history related crafts that you & your child loved? Were the crafts 'worthwhile'? I'd prefer just to have a good book or two on hand that covers multiple cultures, so we could use it repeatedly throughout the year. Or, do you recommend the Hands & Hearts kits?

:bigear:

Thanks!

This year I decided to get away from the crafts design to duplicate something in a culture and focus on crafts that the culture would actually do themselves. As I was looking, some kind soul on this board posted a title "Art From Many Hnads: Multicultural Art Projects" by Jo Schuman. Our library had an older edition and I loved it. I'm very impressed with how well they come up with material and techniques that replicate what different cultures do. There is more text than pictures, so it's not like the other books most of us are used to looking at when trying to find crafts. I did pick up a newer edition from ebay. It's exactly the same except for a few more colored pictures scattered throughout .