Menu

How Long Does a Box/Carton of Ice Cream Last?

mathmarm

Ice cream lasts about 20 minutes.

On the rare occasion I buy ice cream for the house, everyone gets a pint of their favorite flavor. You can do with it what you want. My kids usually finish it off within 2 days.

Since none of us have any self control when there is ice cream in the house we go out for ice cream when we want a treat.

Between the two of us, we get about 4 bowls each. That could last 4 days or two weeks. I grew up with ice cream as the default dessert. My first job was in an ice cream shoppe. I love ice cream, now there are a few brands I can't eat because of something they now put in it. Chocolate and coffee are the favorite flavors around here. 

We don't always have it in the house. I buy a carton about every 1-2 months. I keep popsicles on hand when it's hot. 

ETA: We don't buy it often because I'm trying to be disciplined. If any food could be eaten without repercussion, I'd choose ice cream and cheese and coffee. 

The other thing is, although I could eat a lot of ice cream compared to the general population, I see ice cream as more of fall, winter, spring dessert. In summer for frozen treats, I like sorbet or fruit popsicles (the kind that are actually made with fruit, not artificially colored flavored water). When it's very hot ice cream is just too heavy to eat.

My children and dh have an "eat until it's gone" mindset.  With that in mind, they finish a carton in 2 seatings.  Those two times are highly likely to be two days in a row. 

They eat all the "good stuff" in the house as quickly as possible unless it's specifically marked for a future occasion.  "Don't eat these chips; they are for Wednesday."  It drives me insane.  Before I had this family, I was the type of person that would buy a candy bar, eat just a bit here and there, and it would last a month.  But dh's entire family is like this, and all of my children have this trait, in spades.

See, this is why I buy pistachio ice cream.  No one else in the family likes it.  Otherwise I get one little cuplet, tops, from any ice cream we bring home, because I don't want that much in one serving but everyone else pigs out, so it's gone really fast.

:iagree:

Breyer's vanilla for me.  I know, I am BORING...  but my family all likes the ice cream that is pretty much like you dumped a Halloween candy bucket into a carton of ice cream. :ack2:  The more flavors the better for them. Vanilla ice cream will go untouched unless they're desperate and there are no other sweets in the house.

They seem to have not yet figured out that the THREE of them (BabyBaby eats a dairy-free ice cream) have to share one carton, while I have an entire vanilla all to myself. :leaving:

So, the answer is: maybe 1-2 days for the junked-up ice cream/candy salad, and a week or two for me. But mine only lasts so long because I despise scooping ice cream, so I REALLLLY have to be in the mood for ice cream.

BabyBaby's dairy-free ice cream varies- depending on brand, size, and flavor.