Menu

New Awesome Forum

A brief look looked good. It has been around a while. I especially liked the emphasis on magnesium on the alternative medicine section since I am the "magnesium nazi." It is the first thing I recommend for children with learning challenges.

Do you have a Mg brand that you prefer and in what quantities?

For kids, In Gear if there are no constipation issues. I give 2 scoops, 1/2 teaspoon, to my 35 pound 4 year old. That is about 270 mg. It is powdered and it is magnesium malate. The malate helps eliminate lead and aluminum.

https://www.emersonecologics.com/Products/EmersonMain/PID-INGEA.aspx

Or Natural Calm if there is a constipation issue.

The dose of either is an individual thing though. Even mag malate can cause looser stools.

Magnesium is calming and helps people sleep deeper. It has 300 known functions in the body. Not everyone needs it but most ASD and ADHD kids do. My 4 year old isn't either, but needs it. Although if he doesnt get it, you might think he was diagnosable with something. My 2 year old doesn't seem to need it at all.

• Like 1

Oops, In Gear is magnesium glycinate rather than magnesium malate as I said earlier. Glycinate is the most absorbable form, but there are several other almost as absorbable forms, like citrate, malate, aspartate. 99% of magnesium supplements sold in drug stores and discount stores like Walmart and Target are magnesium oxide which is only 9% absorbed.

I just went straight to the alternative medicine section, but I don't think the forum is largely alternative medicine.

I have both an allopathic medical degree (5 year undergraduate degree in medical technology from the Indiana University school of Medicine), and I am a doctor of chiropractic, which I would put in the alternative medicine category. I would hate to have access to only one of those two arenas.

• Like 1