Menu

Question about 10th grade English.

Everything I have read says an English credit is 1/2 writing, 1/2 literature with some composition thrown in.  Of course, a literature class will still have some writing with it.t

Is that 1 semester Lit then next semester writing = 1 English credit? Or both semesters Lit and a writing class?

I'm considering an online Bravewriter class: The Boomerang club.  Ten months is the equivalent of 1 hs credit of lit while 5 months is 1/2 a credit.  I will add a writing class through

Homeschool Connections Online.  Tia.

You can really do it any way you like. I typically do 30 minutes lit, 30 minutes composition for a "lit and comp" class, but you could do a semester focus on each, or do things in units (one year for an "English" credit I included more subjects--grammar, roots/vocab, lit, and comp--and called it "English 10" for the grade DS was in.)

Aim for 150-180 hours and do what works well, then decide what to title your course.

• Like 2

Everything I have read says an English credit is 1/2 writing, 1/2 literature with some composition thrown in.  Of course, a literature class will still have some writing with it.t

Is that 1 semester Lit then next semester writing = 1 English credit? Or both semesters Lit and a writing class?

I'm considering an online Bravewriter class: The Boomerang club.  Ten months is the equivalent of 1 hs credit of lit while 5 months is 1/2 a credit.  I will add a writing class through

Homeschool Connections Online.  Tia.

An English credit is literature and composition, with grammar as necessary; not everyone actually divides them up into half a credit each, or defines it as "literature with some composition thrown in."  In fact, yours is the first comment I've seen or heard that states it that way. :-)

In classroom-based schools, it is most common to alternate grammar/composition and literature, rather than a whole semester of each one.

• Like 1