Menu

Using three levels of different "boxed" curricula... am I crazy?

Katydid

OK, so I'm having to come to terms with the fact that my kids all seem to be very different learners. So far, we've been doing an eclectic mix of WTM/CM stuff for all of them, but I'm trying to be more focused on their individual needs next year.

My oldest (6th grade) learns best with curriculum that spells out exactly what's expected of him and allows him to just "git 'er done". I am planning on having him do Rod & Staff English and Spelling, W&R Narrative II & Chreia, MEP math, Holt Science & Technology Earth & Space, Getting started with Latin, Logic Liftoff series, and most of Build Your Library grade 5. 

My dd (4th grade) is a creative, hands-on learner with slight dyslexia. For her, I was thinking of doing Oak Meadow 4th grade, MEP math, and either Apples & Pears or AAS. I also have Treasured Conversations to help with getting her writing up to grade level this year. I'll likely have to modify many of the writing lessons in OM. She'll also most likely listen in on the grade 5 BYL read alouds.

DS2 (Ker) loves workbooks and crafty stuff, so for him I've been looking at Memoria Press's Kindergarten program. I may use AAR, AAS, ETC & MEP/Miquon instead of their Phonics & Math, but I love the look of everything else. 

And then I have DS3 who will be turning 4 in Sept. For him, I was thinking of getting the R&S preschool books and then doing AAR pre-level with him later in the year. He'll likely do lots of the crafty projects along with DS2, as well.

I love the way all of this looks "on paper", but I'm wondering how practical it is to do three different programs from three different curriculum providers? Much of my oldest's stuff in fairly independent, and I like that OM 4 is written to the student to encourage independence, so that might make it a bit easier for me to implement. Obviously, I'll have to spend lots of one on one time getting DS2 reading this year. But am I biting off more than I can chew? Or is this just the nature of homeschooling multiple children with very different learning styles? Thoughts?

OK, so I'm having to come to terms with the fact that my kids all seem to be very different learners. So far, we've been doing an eclectic mix of WTM/CM stuff for all of them, but I'm trying to be more focused on their individual needs next year.

My oldest (6th grade) learns best with curriculum that spells out exactly what's expected of him and allows him to just "git 'er done". I am planning on having him do Rod & Staff English and Spelling, W&R Narrative II & Chreia, MEP math, Holt Science & Technology Earth & Space, Getting started with Latin, Logic Liftoff series, and most of Build Your Library grade 5. 

My dd (4th grade) is a creative, hands-on learner with slight dyslexia. For her, I was thinking of doing Oak Meadow 4th grade, MEP math, and either Apples & Pears or AAS. I also have Treasured Conversations to help with getting her writing up to grade level this year. I'll likely have to modify many of the writing lessons in OM. She'll also most likely listen in on the grade 5 BYL read alouds.

DS2 (Ker) loves workbooks and crafty stuff, so for him I've been looking at Memoria Press's Kindergarten program. I may use AAR, AAS, ETC & MEP/Miquon instead of their Phonics & Math, but I love the look of everything else. 

And then I have DS3 who will be turning 4 in Sept. For him, I was thinking of getting the R&S preschool books and then doing AAR pre-level with him later in the year. He'll likely do lots of the crafty projects along with DS2, as well.

I love the way all of this looks "on paper", but I'm wondering how practical it is to do three different programs from three different curriculum providers? Much of my oldest's stuff in fairly independent, and I like that OM 4 is written to the student to encourage independence, so that might make it a bit easier for me to implement. Obviously, I'll have to spend lots of one on one time getting DS2 reading this year. But am I biting off more than I can chew? Or is this just the nature of homeschooling multiple children with very different learning styles? Thoughts?

Not sure about the "boxed" thing, but yes, most people use a variety of materials from a variety of publishers.

I guess I mean full, pre-planned grade levels of each program instead of combining content subjects, like we have been doing.

OIC. Well, you aren't using everything from the same publisher for your oldest,  so I wouldn't think that could be called "boxed." :-) And even with the OM and Memoria Press, you've made substitutions. :-)

Frankly, even though *I* wouldn't use the term "boxed," it still looks like a lot of work on your part to coordinate everything.

Technically, I would be using BYL for my oldest, OM for my dd and MP for my ds2, all with some substitutions/additions. I guess boxed is the wrong word, but I usually see on here people either doing different levels of the same main curriculum provider (with or without substitutions or additions), or combining their children in content subjects.

Thank you for sharing your experience, Krissi.