Menu

Earth science and Astronomy

momtolgd

My upcoming 3rd grade ds is very interested in astronomy, so I am trying to decide on a science curriculum for this year and think we should go with his interests. 9th and 7th grade siblings will be doing biology, but I think he would get more out of following what he enjoys now.

In 2nd grade we did science using the magic school bus videos, library books, and brainpop jr. I think I would like to have a curriculum for Earth and Space, but am not sure what.

What have you used that worked well for this age? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We're trying Mr. Q Earth Science this year. It's got Astronomy chapters in there too. We did Life Science last year and DS loved it. Mr. Q had lots of projects and experiments, and I'm also going to supplement with some I've found online. 

I've got the middle school version of this this book, and I have to say I really like it. You can beef it up to be a full years worth of work by adding a lot of hands-on work, trips to planetariums, stargazing, phases of the moon study, solar system study, reading additional books, and so on.

Real science 4 kids has an astronomy book you could use,but it is not a full year curriculum. I would probably use it all year and supplement with lots of I retesting books on the topic

Dd (7) has also been begging for more astronomy. I have been on the hunt, too. We are using Elemental Science, but I think I may break down and do mr. Q, too. I also found a book called Galileo for Kids. It is not a curriculum, but a book that has several projects suggested. We are going to read it together and do any projects that she is interested in.

We're trying Mr. Q Earth Science this year. It's got Astronomy chapters in there too. We did Life Science last year and DS loved it. Mr. Q had lots of projects and experiments, and I'm also going to supplement with some I've found online. 

:iagree:  This is our plan this year as well.

Highly recommend RSO (Real Science Odyssey) by Pandia Press for Earth and Space science for that age. I think it's much better then then RS4K. They have generous previews you can check out on their website, about a third of the book you can look through for free before you buy.