Menu

Rental wisdom needed

Happy

My son and his family live in an older home--kinda on the dumpy side, but it's what they could afford in a quick and pricey rental market. They have a very nice landlady.

Unfortunately they have had some serious electrical issues with the house. It got more serious this week...Breaker tripped a few days ago when dil turned on the dryer.  LL had a friend electrician (?) come out-he has tried many things but can not seem to fix the issue. Keeps saying he is bringing out a master electrician, but never does. Those are the highlights...there is more, but you get the situation.

Our worry is that the dryer, washer, and refrigerator are fried because of all this. Still don't know because the electric is still not right.

So...what's the LL's responsibility here? What falls to my son and crew? I've never rented for any length of time so I have little experience.

She agrees that electric needs to be dealt with...sort of, this has gone on for a week.

The appliances are my son's...is the LL obligated to help replace them or not?

That's a tough one that I really cannot answer.  I agree this is a big part of what renter's insurance is for.

Maybe find out if there are some sort of renter's rights in your state or area.

• Like 1

That is what renter's insurance is for.

Are the machines actually damaged? Did they check the appliance manual for the machine's requirements versus the circuit capability? I had a roommate who kept plugging her hair dryer into her bedroom outlet....blew the circuit every time as it wasnt rated for it.

If they have had a utility company brown out, in my state the utility company replaces the damaged appliances.

Yep, we discussed renter's insurance with them....too late it seems.

They've lived there six months...the dryer and other appliances worked okay until this week. Minor issues, but all in all, okay.

My son and his family live in an older home--kinda on the dumpy side, but it's what they could afford in a quick and pricey rental market. They have a very nice landlady.

Unfortunately they have had some serious electrical issues with the house. It got more serious this week...Breaker tripped a few days ago when dil turned on the dryer.  LL had a friend electrician (?) come out-he has tried many things but can not seem to fix the issue. Keeps saying he is bringing out a master electrician, but never does. Those are the highlights...there is more, but you get the situation.

Our worry is that the dryer, washer, and refrigerator are fried because of all this. Still don't know because the electric is still not right.

So...what's the LL's responsibility here? What falls to my son and crew? I've never rented for any length of time so I have little experience.

The landlord needs to fix issues involving the building and its systems.  The electrical falls under mechanical systems.

Your son is responsible for dirt and damage and possibly minor repairs, (as in replacing a handle if he breaks one) but not major system repairs.   He is responsible for any of his own appliances. 

Ask via email that an electrician come to the property this week, for safety reasons.   He should explain what you have said here, that the breakers keep tripping and there seems to be an electrical issue, and that he is concerned about potential damage to the property and/or the appliances. 

• Like 1

She agrees that electric needs to be dealt with...sort of, this has gone on for a week.

The appliances are my son's...is the LL obligated to help replace them or not?

No, the landlord is not required to replace your son's appliances.  She should repair the electric if necesssary, however, and make sure an electrician has stated that the electrical system is working correctly.

Perhaps there are too few breakers?  Is this 100 amp service?  Are the dryer and the stove on their own breakers? 

• Like 1

No, the landlord is not required to replace your son's appliances.  She should repair the electric if necesssary, however, and make sure an electrician has stated that the electrical system is working correctly.

Perhaps there are too few breakers?  Is this 100 amp service?  Are the dryer and the stove on their own breakers? 

Those are questions we are asking...

Thank you, everyone. This has been very helpful!