Menu

Do you ever read those annoying ads that pop up

when you try to read a webpage? You know, the kind that hijack the whole page and then give you a place to click, "Skip this ad" so that you can get on with reading whatever the page was about? I find this happens to me at excite.com when I am checking the news. I even have my preferences set to "no pop-ups" but these are kind of different. They do not open a new window - they just take over the page you are on. I never, ever, ever read them and I was just wondering if anyone else does. It seems like a silly way to advertise - to annoy people when they really want to read something else and then have to wait for the ad to appear so they can click it away.

Nope -- never. I know the ones you're talking about. They are quite irritating -- especially the ones that hide the "close" or "skip" link or button so you almost *have* to read the silly thing to get rid of it. I can't imagine who thought that *that* was a good idea!

Guest Virginia Dawn
Kathleen said she has her computer set to do this, but they come up anyway. !

I need to get off the computer. Apparently I am not really paying attention to what I am reading.

Thanks everyone. I was just curious. It seems like a huge waste of money for these companies who are trying this advertising approach. I don't click on the sidebar ads either, but at least I do not develop an animosity for the companies who put them there - these pop-ups, on the other hand, actually make me want to avoid the companies who use them. I feel like they are being rude to me, so no way would I ever use their product or service. Isn't that kind of defeating the point of advertising? I would love to know what the thinking is on them from an advertiser's viewpoint but I guess it will always remain a mystery.:)

Thanks everyone. I was just curious. It seems like a huge waste of money for these companies who are trying this advertising approach. I don't click on the sidebar ads either, but at least I do not develop an animosity for the companies who put them there - these pop-ups, on the other hand, actually make me want to avoid the companies who use them. I feel like they are being rude to me, so no way would I ever use their product or service. Isn't that kind of defeating the point of advertising? I would love to know what the thinking is on them from an advertiser's viewpoint but I guess it will always remain a mystery.:)

I guess it's just name recognition. I would assume (and that's probably a mistake ;) ) that they're thinking the brand will get "in there" anyway -- and one of these days you'll think of them, forgetting where the imprint came from.

Kind of like little kids who will do anything for attention, even if it's not exactly the kind of "attention" they'd prefer to have. :D