Menu

above ground pool owners...I have a question...

ProudGrandma

did we do the wrong thing:  we started filling our pool on Tuesday around noon.....from the beginning the kids were in the pool...even with an inch of water in it.   We didn't get it full before it rained for a day....so after the rain, we finished filling it up...and the kids played a little bit in the pool yesterday but not much.  

Last night we threw in some shock powder, but that was all we had.  

and this morning the pool looks green.

so now what????

Do you have high iron levels in your water? That could be causing the green color.

What you'll really need to do, though is test your water to see where it's at. You can buy a bottle of test strips at any big box store/hardware store/hime improvement store. Before you add any chemicals to the pool going forward, testing the water is your first step. Otherwise, you're just dumping chemicals blindly.

This one assumes you're opening your pool after the winter and assumes a specific brand (http://www.lesliespool.com/blog/pool-care/pool-openings/how-to-open-your-pool-in-the-spring/), but you can find comparable products at the store. Just skip down to #11 and go from there. I would not let kids go swimming at this point until you get the water chemistry balanced out and the chlorine levels up where they need to be.

Here's another one - http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/lawn-garden/how-to/a7671/how-to-get-your-swimming-pool-ready-for-summer-8692427/

If you're really uncertain, I'd take a water sample into a swimming pool store. They can test your water for you and help you figure out what you need to buy.

Yes, I second getting test strips, and taking in samples of water. 1 year the test strips would read no chlorine after I had added it, so I kept adding more. Finally took a sample in (water was clear blue) and I can't remember the exact name, but basically I had "chlorine locked" my pool. Luckily not too bad, and we were able to salvage it, but now about once a month while I am going that way I take in a sample.

• Like 1

If you're on FB, put out a post that asks local friends who have pools where they go. Chances are, there will be a little mom and pop shop somewhere where the person behind the counter will test your water and tell you step by step exactly what to do next. Walmart chemicals are cheaper but you end up with way more problems. My pool lady Doris is worth her weight in gold! :)