Menu

Comprehensive writing for 8th grader going to high school next year?

My 8th grader is going to a private high school next year.  He is a prolific creative writer, and has done subject writing and basic grammar, but no formal writing program.  I am looking for a writing curriculum or a list of topics/skills (i.e. essays, research papers, etc.) that I can put together to create a complete writing program for this year that will prepare him for high school.  Any ideas?

There's a course of WWS on WTM Academy that covers all three books - that may be an easy option.

I *may* have my dd start public high school (9th grade in fall 2017), and am concerned about the same thing. She has wonderful voice, very creative, but academic writing isn't where it needs to be. I've gone back and forth between WWS and LToW. I am going to start with WWS 1 and 2, using the WTM Academy syllabus. That should take us a bit over 1 semester, and then I will decide if we do LToW, continue with WWS 3, or something else entirely (EiL, LAoW, ??).

Best wishes!!

• Like 1

There's a course of WWS on WTM Academy that covers all three books - that may be an easy option.

I *may* have my dd start public high school (9th grade in fall 2017), and am concerned about the same thing. She has wonderful voice, very creative, but academic writing isn't where it needs to be. I've gone back and forth between WWS and LToW. I am going to start with WWS 1 and 2, using the WTM Academy syllabus. That should take us a bit over 1 semester, and then I will decide if we do LToW, continue with WWS 3, or something else entirely (EiL, LAoW, ??).

Best wishes!!

This looks like a really good option.  I think this combined WWS 1-3 class is what I would do if my student were heading to high school.  I'm planning on doing my own version of this consolidated WWS combined with Writing With a Thesis, which will take the skills of the the "parts" taught so well in WWS and help the student see how to put them together into a thesis-driven essay, which is an important skill for high school.  (We did Lively Art of Writing, an introduction to essay writing, in 7th).

Thanks for your replies.  The WWS combined looks like a great solution.  I haven't looked at Lively Art of Writing, so will research that.  Forgot about Lost Tools of Writing, so I'll look at that too.

Great suggestions!