Menu

Question for dmmetler or other frog experts: updated 2x

MercyA

Yesterday we had a plumber in to fix our sump pump. He found three live frogs and four dead frogs in the sump pit. :ohmy: Yes, really. He fished them out for me, and we released them at a public wetlands area. They were about two inches long and light grayish green. Two had black spots and one had pinkish-orange markings. They were good jumpers.  :)

The plumber said we could put up screens to keep the frogs from coming in the pit, but then they would just die behind the screens. :( There's really no way to know for sure how they're getting into the drainage tiles. So, it looks like I'll be checking the sump pump regularly for little visitors.

I won't always be able to run right to the pond with the frogs, so I need to know how to keep them happy for 12-24 hours. I'll probably buy an inexpensive plastic critter cage. I really don't want to catch or buy live insects, if possible. Any suggestions?

Wonderful, thanks so much! I usually dechlorinate water with Stress Coat (for fish), but would it be better just to let it sit out?  

Will they need enough water to totally submerge themselves?  I'll be sure to provide a platform so they can get out of the water if they want.

Most frogs like to sort of float, with just their eyes over the water surface. You can either use dechlorinating drops or just leave it out. We keep several bottles of water to dechlorinate for the pet frogs and any temporary residents, and use 5 gallon buckets for the outdoor test pools when it's needed to refill them due to evaporation (although usually rain takes care of it).

The frog has been released to a much happier place than my basement.   :)

I had an audience of Amish kids watching while I let him go.  You can hear them speaking in Pennyslvania Dutch on the video I took.  My husband said they were probably saying, "Look at that crazy English lady!"

• Like 1