Menu

Umbrella school and transcript questions

Ok for several reasons, I would like to find an umbrella/cover school option for my nephew who is living with us-- and I am a little lost...

He moved in with us in January...has been working with a tutor since then and will continue. How do I determine what credit(s) to give him? I am thinking an English and math credit....since those have been the focus of his studies. English 1 and "Math Fundamentals" or??? He basically started at the beginning he was so far behind, and should be ready for pre-algebra work by end of summer.

I would like to find an umbrella/cover school that will accept the credits I would like to assign for this work, and not have much control over his course/class selection as we move forward. I have a tentative plan in my head that would take him through Algebra 1 and geometry by graduation ... And meet the graduation requirements for our state in other areas as well.

Many umbrella schools I looked at do not offer previous high school credit or want tons of paperwork or testing... What are my options?

No direct experience here but have you looked at Clonlara? I know several who are using it and were able to get their plans approved. They also have a special education program for kids that are struggling, so they may be used to adjusting credits to fit what the child is actually able to do.

http://www.clonlara.org/home/

Thanks, I hadn't heard of this one... It says it requires an exit exam....wonder what that is like? The tuition seems steep, is that typical of umbrella schools? ðŸ˜

You didn't say what state you were in.  It sounds like HomeLife Academy in Tennessee may fit your needs; I believe they are open to residents in all 50 states.  They have a lot of information on their website if you want to take a look. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have as we have used them for 12+ years. They do not dictate the course materials that you use and do not require testing.

You can do everything online: register, report grades and attendance.  

• Like 1

You didn't say what state you were in. It sounds like HomeLife Academy in Tennessee may fit your needs; I believe they are open to residents in all 50 states. They have a lot of information on their website if you want to take a look. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you may have as we have used them for 12+ years. They do not dictate the course materials that you use and do not require testing.

You can do everything online: register, report grades and attendance.

m

Thank you. I had looked at Home life, but for high school credits pre home life to count you have to take some kind of test? That's what I read on the website....

Oh, and we are in Florida.

I just took a look at the website since we haven't gone through that process.  It looks like they have a "transcript review" for students transferring into HLA with high school credits earned while not registered with a school.  There is a fee for this but no testing.  You can read this by click going to the website and clicking on the High School tab at the top, and then select Transfer from the choices along the left.

I think they will just want course names, descriptions (generally a list of materials used), credits awarded, and grades.

If he has been working on English and Math with a tutor, you should definitely provide a credit for these courses.  Consider possible electives for other things that he may have done on his own, like PE for sports and individual physical activities (running, walking, biking, etc.); generally a minimum of 120 hours could be a credit.  If he's sat in front of Netflix for hours a day, consider discussing what he has been watching and determine if it is worthy of a Study of Film elective credit.