Menu

South Carolina - need info. on your annual book fair

sheryl

Hi neighbors!  :)

I have never been to our (NC) annual book fair in Winston-Salem but only to our local one here in Charlotte which has dwindled.  My friend and I are interested in learning about your big annual homeschool book fair.  It's in March, right?  I wish we didn't miss out on that one!  We'll have to go next year but how do I get on the mailing list or find out about it via a website, etc?

Thanks!

I thank the name of it is Great Homeschool Conventions. I've only been to the book fair part not any of the workshops. It's a lot bigger than the one in Charlotte. It's a great place to go and compare different products. Maybe someone else can tell you about the workshops.

I thank the name of it is Great Homeschool Conventions. I've only been to the book fair part not any of the workshops. It's a lot bigger than the one in Charlotte. It's a great place to go and compare different products. Maybe someone else can tell you about the workshops.

Thank you kubie.  Do you have direct contact info?  Or, anyone?

I appreciate this!    :hurray: 

Well, keep in mind, this is NOT a SOUTH CAROLINA book fair.  Instead, it's a National Homeschool Convention that just happens to be in Greenville SC.  The Great Homeschool Convention has 3-4 locations around the United States each year, spread around the U.S.    The organizers are not from SC, and it really has nothing to do with SC, other that it is IN SC, lol. It's in March of each year.   And they have a website. 

The other BIG convention we had here was in Spartanburg.  Teach Them Diligently.  That was actually started by a local homeschool family in South Carolina as an alternative to the Great Homeschool convention (long story...old timers know it).  But alas, that has grown so big, that it will actually be in Atlanta next year.

Also, neither are "book fairs".  They are homeschool conventions, with two main points:  Speakers speaking on homeschool theories, philosophies, and curriculum, and Vendors selling their curriculum.

Well, keep in mind, this is NOT a SOUTH CAROLINA book fair.  Instead, it's a National Homeschool Convention that just happens to be in Greenville SC.  The Great Homeschool Convention has 3-4 locations around the United States each year, spread around the U.S.    The organizers are not from SC, and it really has nothing to do with SC, other that it is IN SC, lol. It's in March of each year.   And they have a website. 

The other BIG convention we had here was in Spartanburg.  Teach Them Diligently.  That was actually started by a local homeschool family in South Carolina as an alternative to the Great Homeschool convention (long story...old timers know it).  But alas, that has grown so big, that it will actually be in Atlanta next year.

Also, neither are "book fairs".  They are homeschool conventions, with two main points:  Speakers speaking on homeschool theories, philosophies, and curriculum, and Vendors selling their curriculum.

thanks.  I did a little research and found it.   have you attended?  if so, can you tell me the ticket price for adults and children?  i'd like to know this upfront to decide.  

Also, there is a sort of homeschool bookstore that is between Spartanburg and Greenville, about a two-hour drive depending on what part of Charlotte you're coming from. It is like a warehouse full of homeschool curriculum and such. They used to be called Children's Books, but changed names when the ownership changed. 

Here is their website: http://www.homeschooldiscountproducts.com/about-us/

You should definitely call to confirm store hours before driving down. 

thanks.  I did a little research and found it.   have you attended?  if so, can you tell me the ticket price for adults and children?  i'd like to know this upfront to decide.  

I have attended the Great Homeschool Convention each year, but I'm sorry I don't remember the exact price.  What I do remember is it's too expensive for my budget, lol.  I'm a tightwad...so I hate to drop $30+++ just to walk in the door...in my mind...that's money I could have spent on curriculum.  Instead I volunteered in exchange for free admission.  They usually put a email out asking for volunteers.  You work four hours, doing easy jobs...I normally work the check in booth.....and get free admission to the speakers and the vendor hall for the whole weekend.  Easy enough since I am right here in town.  They also gave us tickets to the shows each night...one night was a family-friendly Christian comedian.  That was fun!  The next night was a Ben Franklin impersonator.....suprisingly, dead boring...we left early.  But ticket holders paid extra for these.  So volunteering really was a nice deal!

I also did that one year for the Teach Them Diligently convention....my job was to sit in a big hall, and make sure none of the attendees tried to go up on stage to the speakers.  Easy enough...except I had to sit and listen to Ken Ham speak for an hour....egads...not my cuppa!!

A few things to note:  Great Homeschool Convention usually has discounted rates the earlier you sign up.  I suggest signing up on their website to get notified...they will send you emails letting you know the cut off dates for discounted rates.

This past year, they offered FREE admission to the Vendor Hall ONLY, the first night.   In the past, if one wanted to visit only the Vendor Hall, one could pay $10 a day to do that.  You couldn't go to the seminars or speakers, just the Vendor Hall.  So if that is your priority, you may want to wait to see if they are going to offer the Vendor hall free for the first night this coming year.

Overall, I do feel that the Vendor Hall for the Great Homeschool Convention has declined over the years, especially after the big "kerfluffle".     I used to go to a small convention in FL...it was in a bigger city than Greenville...but it really was just a "local" type convention....not a "national" convention, or even state convention, by any means, and the vendor hall was just as big.   I'd expect bigger for a National event, IMHO.  

I don't follow much about Teach Them Diligently anymore since they moved to Atlanta, but I do know they offer discounted rates for early ticket purchase too.