Menu

Grammar for after FLL

Well, outlining is generally taught in composition instead of grammar. (I don't remember seeing it in FLL, but I never did see level 4.)

Perhaps Hake? It has writing lessons too. Or else do Writing With Skill level 1 and another grammar book like Analytical Grammar, Hake, and such.

I'll probably catch flak for this, but I think Hake was horribly simplistic. An example asking a kid to circle the verbs with frog and tree being listed as options was ridiculous. My 4 yr old was able to answer the questions. This was 5th grade grammar!

I've found no thorough secular grammar. We've reluctantly gone with Rod and Staff which oldest tolerates. She hates the religious bent but admits that she's learned a lot. I like the writing lessons and the way outlining is taught. 

CLE includes outlining instructions, and is mainly a grammar program. WWS would include much more outlining practice though. It isn't secular, but it doesn't evangelize either.

Do you find the Teacher's book needed or just answer keys?