Menu

HOE Questions

Haiku

My son has been working through the HOE apps, and he is really enjoying them and doing well.

I would like to continue using HOE as a supplement to his main math program.

I don't want to purchase the HOE Learning System because I think that the three apps cover this. I would like to use the Verbal Problems book.

Questions:

1) Is there instruction in the book on HOW to solve the problems, or is it just straight-up problems?

2) How do you integrate this with your existing curriculum? A problem or two a day? Take a break from your main curriculum and work though the whole book? Something else?

I am not good at integrating more than one resource. I never quite figure out how to get them to work together. Specific examples of what you have done would be helpful and most appreciated. Thanks!

I was hoping someone with more than one child that went through it would answer, or at least a more typical experience would, but I can give you some answers...

At the very beginning of the verbal problems book is a nice introduction explaining the setup and notation used in HOE, as well as some ideas for teaching and practice. I wouldn't say it is extensive handholding, but definitely gets the job done.

Then, after each level of problems the worked solutions are given along with a little diagram of what the setup balance should have looked like.

We do HOE on Friday Fun Days. Dd really enjoys them so it becomes part of our extension activities. I also often put up a problem or two on our huge dry erase board in the living/dining area and just leave it there for her to do when the urge strikes:)

• 2 weeks later...